Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Deleting the wind shield in moonroof??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/deleting-the-wind-shield-in-moonroof-8978.html)

White WK Swagga 04-28-2010 03:20 PM

Deleting the wind shield in moonroof???

Has anyone deleted the wind shield in the moonroof that pops up? It's quieter with out it but at some speeds you get that air buffer noise like a helicopter sound. I was thinking about taking that shield out...

Thoughts.....

pjs1965 04-28-2010 04:14 PM

Re: Deleting the wind shield in moonroof???

You know I had a similar thought. It would have to be a custom piece -- so you're thinking of keeping the mechanism in place and just swapping out the glass for something? Or removing it completely?

White WK Swagga 04-28-2010 04:32 PM

I want to keep the moon roof and all. Just when you open the moon roof there's this shield that pops up to deflect the wind up a little but it actually makes more wind noise in the cabin. But with out it at some speeds you get the wind pressure noise that sounds like a helicopter. (But it can be corrected bu opening a window slightly) Next time you're in your car slide the moon roof glass all the way back. then reach up and pull the shield down it'll be quieter in the cabin. and let it go (it'll pop back up) and you'll hear wind noise...

SRTILL8 04-28-2010 04:49 PM

maybe some extra insulation/padding where the air travels in? nothing major though as in materials to fix this issue. also the adding material wouldnt be an eye sore.

saleen032 05-10-2010 08:19 AM

Hey Nate, I did it when I had mine, at most speeds it seemed alot quieter, but at some certain speeds, there was alittle bit more buffeting. I would recommend it. It is only takes a minute to remove and it is very easy to put back on if you dont like it. I ended up leaving it off because I liked it better without it..

White WK Swagga 05-10-2010 09:50 AM

Yeah I looked at it yesterday. I think it's going to have to come off. Thanks Scott!!!

1 GRAND 05-11-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White WK Swagga (Post 204909)
Yeah I looked at it yesterday. I think it's going to have to come off. Thanks Scott!!!

I put my hand on mine when the roof is open to make it quieter. It is much better without it I would think.

White WK Swagga 05-11-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 GRAND (Post 205792)
I put my hand on mine when the roof is open to make it quieter. It is much better without it I would think.

X2. If I get that wind buffer noise I'll crack a window to correct it.

suzieque 05-11-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 GRAND (Post 205792)

X3, this is what I've been doing for the last year when making highway trips with an open roof, city trips is not an issue due to lower speeds.

rivercat 05-14-2010 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White WK Swagga (Post 197897)
Has anyone deleted the wind shield in the moonroof that pops up? It's quieter with out it

Its almost like DCX did that on purpose so you would be discouraged to use it after you had bought the jeep and paid for the option.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-14-2010 02:08 AM

try sitting in the backseat without it, way more air comes in the vehicle on the highway without it

blackpepper 05-14-2010 02:11 AM

^^ My thoughts exactly. That and any dirt in the air, too.