Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Swapping SRT8 Mesh W/Your Own Stock Grill Trim.

7K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  AsianRiderSRT8 
#1 ·
I did this mod awhile back, prob one of the first I did when I got my WK. Found a red rock crystal srt8 grill for 85 bucks shipped so I bought it and swapped it out my black trim. I did it in winter, so I soaked both pieces in hott water in my bath tub to soften the plastic since I was afraid of it cracking.

The srt grill.

Using a small flat head screwdriver I pryed the top and bottom tabs off first, then working from one side I pryed the tabs on the verticals while pulling the trim away just enough to keep it from snapping back in. If I had another set of hands would of went quicker. Plus, I learned not to pull the trim away too much or the next tabs will get wedged and harder to pry off.

And were done. I put the other one back together and sold it on ebay. Made a little $$ back......I almost want to say it cost me $50 altogether for this one now after selling mine.

See less See more
#3 ·
Like i wrote its easy, just undo the top and bottom tabs first, then working from one side to the other undo the tabs while gently pulling the trim away but not so much the next tabs are wedged tight that you cant get the screwdriver in.

#5 ·
Haha, did you even read my thread? I found someone selling it on ebay. Starting bid was like 40 bucks but had a buy it now for $85 shipped so I scopped it up as soon as i saw it. Then I put that srt trim on my stock back and sold it on ebay for like $60 shipped. I got it done for CHEAP...... I really dont think you will come across a deal like that again. I seem to stumble up them, like buying the mopar ground effects kit new for 200 bucks. hehe. My whole brand new JL audio stereo system cost me the same as going to walmart buying crap gear.

#13 ·
you found a brand new mopar body kit for 200??? dam I woulda swooped that up too! nice find!

#19 ·
Yup, on ebay. I found one brand new and won it for like $418 and picked it up for free cuz he ended up working at a jeep dealership 20 min from me. Then he listed another kit, I just bid the starting bid of $200, even went on another site and told everyone about it saying I wont bid anymore if someone wants it but then came home one day to find out I won it for the $200, no one even bid. So I went back on the other site, listed it for $400 and sold it in ten minutes, and I never had to even touch it since I had the guy ship it directly to that person. Then he contacted me saying he had one more so I bought that for $200 and sold it for another 400. Dam im good. I do that all the time with ebay, bought 2 brand new JL 10W6v2's for $325 shipped to my house, then sold one of them back on ebay for $212 plus shipping. I call it investing. lol

#20 ·
No way, I dont regret any mod I have done so far. Def worth the $$$ making it stand out from the rest. I luv pulling up to stock WK's at red lights or passing them on the highway, cuz I know they are staring thinking NICEEEEE. I was recently at a McD's drive thru and an older lady was behind me in a stock black 08 WK, I look in the drivers mirror at her and she stuck her head out her window saying nice rims. lol.

#27 ·
Well I have an 05 WK, and the srt grill I swapped out was listed for an 06-07. Im sure an 08 srt mesh can be swapped with any 08-09 WK trim.

I was just looking thru all the "how to's" stickies and remembered I wrote this thread and a few people wrote me after asking how easy was it to do. Like I wrote before, I first saw a red srt grill on ebay and wondered if I could just swap out the trim or if i'd have to get it painted, I couldnt find any info giving me a def answer so I just bought it and experimented on the srt grill and it worked perfect.

#29 ·
Man this is a great mod that really does set ur jeep apart from all the others... srt8 grille FTMFW btw laughed when i read that the old lady said nice rims in a drive thru.. lol

#30 ·
I really love how the SRT mesh looks, but since have seen some great write-ups from people making their own using a roll of mesh stock from Homedepot. I admit some I do not like, the ones where a small thin gauge mesh is used and the openings are small, like chicken wire. Using a Google search I stumbled across some really nice heavy duty thicker mesh with big honeycombs which match the SRT mesh exactly, but its pricey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.