Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Starting issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/starting-issues-9040.html)

JeepKid 05-01-2010 10:18 AM

Starting issues

Whats up fellas, i got an issue with the jeep. Last night after getting out of work i went out to start my jeep and it wouldnt start. I tried the ignition 4 times before it semi-started. It kind of started, sputtered, then started up right all with one turn of the key. I turned the lights on before i even had the key in the ignition so any ideas on what this might be?

JeepKid 05-01-2010 12:28 PM

Re: Starting issues

Who's got me on this?! haha. Now that i think of it the engine RPM's have kind of sputtered at times when idling at stop lights. I wonder if these probs are related?

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-01-2010 12:38 PM

maybe the engine isnt getting enough gas? bad spark plugs?

JeepKid 05-01-2010 12:41 PM

Well wen i tried starting it the first time the engine didnt even turn over. There was no noise just the click of the key. . .

JeepKid 05-01-2010 12:44 PM

oh and spark plugs were changed 4k miles ago.

rufdod 05-01-2010 12:51 PM

from the starting issue i had, and others have had i would say its the starter, but your symptoms might be some other issue, and your jeep is newer than the ones that seemed to have the problem.

I have had sputtering, it stall a few times, but that only seems to happen to me if i put it into drive really quickly after i start it, then come to a stop sign a few feet down the street. This however isnt related to the starter.

JeepKid 05-01-2010 01:00 PM

Well its still under warranty . . . and i know the jeep has had ignition troubles with its previous owner that was covered under warranty . . . im thinking about taking it out to them on monday.

Just to see if they would cover this. i have no idea if they will but wont hurt to ask. Especially considering i have 200 miles until i hit 36k

JeepKid 05-01-2010 01:16 PM

since this is kind of on topic . . . i think my fuel gauge is off because when i fuel up for example to the half way line the next time i turn it on the needle is near the 3/4 mark and other times its about halfway from the 1/4 and 1/2 way mark and this is after a 2 mile drive home. . .

Is this normal adjusting or should i get this checked? I jus noticed it this past week.

SoCalMoparWK 05-02-2010 12:56 AM

Battery/Alternator/Spark Plugs/Computer problems. These would be the majot issues with start up failure.

rvtifer 05-02-2010 01:36 AM

Battery - Starter - electric relay
I had something extremely similar and it turned out to be that the starter was not properly grounded anymore ... Hope you ace will be a simple, good luck buddy.

moose158 05-02-2010 11:49 AM

Get the battery tested first, then go from there, nothing will act right if you have a dying battery. If its good, have an alternator test, and starter test done.

JeepKid 05-02-2010 01:26 PM

Thanks for the input fellas. Hopefully its an easy fix.