Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Light problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/light-problem-9097.html)

cort692 05-03-2010 03:32 PM

Light problem

I installed LED interior lights, 5 of them from e-bay, for everything but the footwells. And then I bought 2 from vLeds for the footwells, but now the dome lights have a light glow to them all the time, even when I'm driving their dimly lit.

Any suggestions?

NWSRT8 05-03-2010 04:57 PM

Re: Light problem

Replace one with the stock bulb. I left the rear cargo.Otherwise I belive you will need to get a resistor. (don't know what one)

DAVY27 05-03-2010 04:58 PM

yep, you have to keep on stock or resistor!

cort692 05-03-2010 04:59 PM

I didn't change out the glove box light, but I think that may run off different power.

How much are resistors?

swing4terps 05-25-2010 05:31 PM

Had the same problem and I think I have this figured out. The two footwell, rear seat handle, and cargo area lights all run on the same circuit. The glove box doesn't work because it only comes on when the glove box is opened. I didn't want to leave one stock because personally I think that is ridiculous. I have purchased all of my LEDs, even for my old CTS, from autolumination as I have had a nice experience every time and they have a nice selection. They offer a load equalizer which is made to add wattage to a connection. I asked the people there what they suggested and they said that because keeping one stock bulb in eliminates the after-glow problem, all you should need is an equalizer on one of the lights and the problem should be gone. The equalizer is $5 and I have one on the way. I'm pretty confident it will work, but I'll give an update once I put it in. Hope this helps.

Frankie 05-25-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 213243)
Had the same problem and I think I have this figured out. The two footwell, rear seat handle, and cargo area lights all run on the same circuit. The glove box doesn't work because it only comes on when the glove box is opened. I didn't want to leave one stock because personally I think that is ridiculous. I have purchased all of my LEDs, even for my old CTS, from autolumination as I have had a nice experience every time and they have a nice selection. They offer a load equalizer which is made to add wattage to a connection. I asked the people there what they suggested and they said that because keeping one stock bulb in eliminates the after-glow problem, all you should need is an equalizer on one of the lights and the problem should be gone. The equalizer is $5 and I have one on the way. I'm pretty confident it will work, but I'll give an update once I put it in. Hope this helps.

Great answer! +rep

swing4terps 06-30-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 213243)

I have been busy with some other things and am just now getting around to looking into this.

I have the equalizer, which per the instructions is connected to the positive wire on one end and the ground (-) wire on the other. I figured it would be easiest to connect to one of handle lights in the back seats as they are easiest to get to. When I took the handle off I noticed there are three wires leading to the light bracket. One is yellow with a red stripe, another yellow with a brown stripe, and the third is red.

Does anyone have any idea what each of these wires is?

swing4terps 07-01-2010 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps the picture is of some help.

robpp 07-01-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 229269)
perhaps the picture is of some help.

20yl/or courtesy lamps driver

20rd fused b(+)

20yl/tn glove box lamp driver

TJXJWJ 07-01-2010 11:15 PM

Did ya get this one figured out? Is it just adding a load equalizer to one of those 7 bulbs?

swing4terps 07-02-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 229451)
20yl/or courtesy lamps driver

20rd fused b(+)

20yl/tn glove box lamp driver

Is this naming them left to right as they are shown in the picture? Where would my ground be or is there not one?

robpp 07-02-2010 12:00 PM

there is none on that plug. i got the pinouts from mopar: http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/platform_...asp?return=new

IIRC i had to go to06 to find them, seems like they were missing fromthe list of 05.

and to determine which direction, match the colors. NO?

here is the diagram showing a-c and you can see the clips are on top.

A = 20yl/or courtesy lamps driver

B = 20rd fused b(+)

C= 20yl/tn glove box lamp driver

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andle_plug.jpg