Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Italy has a Jeep Cherokee (not Grand) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/italy-has-a-jeep-cherokee-not-grand-9113.html)

Jeffjs7 05-04-2010 07:36 AM

Italy has a Jeep Cherokee (not Grand)

Just came back from Rome and I saw lots of Jeep Cherokees, along with tons of 2010 JGC CRD.

Looked up their Jeep Cherokee and it's just the US Liberty. I think I like it better with the Cherokee name.

GR33N D3M0N 05-04-2010 08:18 AM

Re: Italy has a Jeep Cherokee (not Grand)

i think for a while China was selling the Libertys as Cherokees....i guess its just a marketing strategy

White Chocolate 05-04-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.7L wk (Post 200999)
i think for a while China was selling the Libertys as Cherokees....i guess its just a marketing strategy

Proof of this?

GR33N D3M0N 05-04-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlutcH (Post 201050)
Proof of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty

i think that should be good enough....but they stopped the sale of the "cherokee", or the "liberty' as we know of it here in america, in china, but if you take a trip over to the jeep italy website, you can see that they sell the Liberty as a Cherokee

yousmellfunnytoo 05-04-2010 09:31 AM

My girlfriend has a KK Liberty, and I was trying to track down some of the side moldings that say Cherokee for it... I gave up

S.O.T.I. 05-04-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.7L wk (Post 200999)

For a while, China was building the xj Cherokee platform with a diesel powertrain and a more modern/updated fascia and headlights, but labeled as a "Jeep 2500" I have no idea about the Cherokee/Liberty names and what they were on. I was in Beijing and Hong Kong in the last 2 years, and in both places I saw the "2500". With the modern front end and some other subtle differences, it was a sweet looking vehicle.

Here in Korea, What we think of as the Liberty is labeled a Cherokee. I could track down the side moldings, but shipping would be murder...

B.P.O.D 05-04-2010 09:53 AM

hmmmm that's interesting

S.O.T.I. 05-04-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 201079)
hmmmm that's interesting

I swear I've written about this before. Anyway, China purchased the right to build the XJ platform as the 2500. Here is a pic:
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n.../jeep25002.jpg

It's an artist's rendition, but if you google images "Jeep 2500" you'll see it's right on and dead sexy! Even if I had to settle for the diesel motor, I'd be all over one of these!

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-04-2010 10:21 AM

this is exactly like how there are no infinity or acura in some countries and those models are passed on as honda and nissan

S.O.T.I. 05-04-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniomario (Post 201128)
this is exactly like how there are no infinity or acura in some countries and those models are passed on as honda and nissan

Not quite. This Jeep has no affiliation with Chrysler. I can't remember the name of the company, but they purchased the right to the shell/suspension, etc. Basically everything but the motor. I think they also bought the right to use the name Jeep, but as a model, not company, name.

Infinity, Lexus, Acura, etc. exist mainly because it was believed the fickle American public would not buy high-end luxury vehicles tagged Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. Some people will say it's because the Japanese car companies wanted to more closely resemble their American counterparts with multiple brand names under one house, but that's bunk.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-04-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.O.T.I. (Post 201188)
Not quite. This Jeep has no affiliation with Chrysler. I can't remember the name of the company, but they purchased the right to the shell/suspension, etc. Basically everything but the motor. I think they also bought the right to use the name Jeep, but as a model, not company, name.

Infinity, Lexus, Acura, etc. exist mainly because it was believed the fickle American public would not buy high-end luxury vehicles tagged Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. Some people will say it's because the Japanese car companies wanted to more closely resemble their American counterparts with multiple brand names under one house, but that's bunk.

now that I didn't know

S.O.T.I. 05-04-2010 11:15 AM

Yep.
Check out the 2010 Acura TL! :eek: A mildly equipped one starts in the mid-30's! Starts! they go up to 45K! Those are SRT8 prices!