Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Noob Questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/noob-questions-9132.html)

wkqueso 05-04-2010 07:16 PM

Noob Questions

Hiiii! so i'm really new to this whole forum thing, but i'm looking to do some different mods on my '07 wk and just need some advice.

Would any of you recommend places I should look for...

- black wheels/off road tires
- front suspension for a 3/8" - 1/2" inch lift
- tinted tail lights
- an aftermarket sunroof :p

Megatron 05-04-2010 07:25 PM

Re: Noob Questions

Nice pink font!

I'm sure the off-road guys will pinch in with their suggestions for the lift and tires/wheels.

As for tinted tail lights - we had a vendor who did them, but currently is not taking in anymore orders.

Scottina06 05-04-2010 07:27 PM

what sort of style of wheels do you like? I think a slightly lifted WK with SRT replicas in black and some sick tires would be killer.

add a set of Bilsteins HD shcoks and struts for 3/8" lift....or add a small spacer to get a slight lift.

Tinted tails-try jonstintedtails.com or our vendor 402motoring

sunroof-that will take a sunroof shop close to you

wkqueso 05-04-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 201567)
what sort of style of wheels do you like? I think a slightly lifted WK with SRT replicas in black and some sick tires would be killer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 201567)

add a set of Bilsteins HD shcoks and struts for 3/8" lift....or add a small spacer to get a slight lift.

Tinted tails-try jonstintedtails.com or our vendor 402motoring

sunroof-that will take a sunroof shop close to you

thanks!! my boyfriend mentioned the spacers too I think I may go with the spacers and the billys so the front can sit a little higher than the back :)

i've always loved the way the srt looks i'd have one if they were so gosh darn expensive haha i'm trying to go more towards the offroad look too now

Scottina06 05-04-2010 07:43 PM

yeah....but some 20" black srt replicas for $539 plus shipping and then some toyo offroad tires would be sick!!!

08pretaco 05-04-2010 07:50 PM

hey girlfriend....idk about the lifted look with srt wheels! maybe something along the lines of some black mojaves or something. also i can tint your tails the same way i did mine, with vht niteshades.

i dont understand how the billys give the jeeps 3/8" lift without doing anything with them?

also i noticed you guys mentioning that the largest tire being able to fit with a mild lift is 255/70/17 ( i think thats what it was) why cant you guys so wide tires? if you go wider do you just have to get some more offset and backspaced wheels? then whats the rubbing situation like if you go into that?

Scottina06 05-04-2010 07:52 PM

they do....I had them on my Jeep and so have others and they lift it 3/8"

08pretaco 05-04-2010 07:57 PM

so is it just a basic someone tried them and it happened or are they engineering specifically to give you the 3/8" lift?
what about the shocks makes the lift ie are the just longer than the factory and sit higher, the way they are valved?

what does that do for bottoming out? do you bottom out sooner?

Scottina06 05-04-2010 07:59 PM

they are gas charged...where as the stockers are junk.......

I dont remmeber if they are longer...never measured them. i took them right back out an put the SRT Bilsteins in

08pretaco 05-04-2010 08:07 PM

i have billys as well and i have to preload them to get lift which is why i asked how/what makes them lift the jeep.

hey gf look into this for a few extra ponies and a couple mpg: http://airram.com/product.php?catego...ery=jeep%203.7

wkqueso 05-04-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08pretaco (Post 201597)
hey girlfriend....idk about the lifted look with srt wheels! maybe something along the lines of some black mojaves or something. also i can tint your tails the same way i did mine, with vht niteshades.

i dont understand how the billys give the jeeps 3/8" lift without doing anything with them?

also i noticed you guys mentioning that the largest tire being able to fit with a mild lift is 255/70/17 ( i think thats what it was) why cant you guys so wide tires? if you go wider do you just have to get some more offset and backspaced wheels? then whats the rubbing situation like if you go into that?

i agree! some lift, some black wheels and some chunky tires and ill be set :)

oh thanks now i have proof so u HAVE to do my lights :D

maxst2 05-04-2010 11:47 PM

You want it up? I'd personally go with the 2/3inch lift from OME. It replaces the stocks with longer ones and springs with longer units. You'll get a better ride than stock and you wont have to worry about lil chunks of plastic under stock springs!

Then for wheels and tires id get like 08pretaco mentioned... mojaves off the rubicon with some nice MT's..

If you dont have any plans of going on trails just light off-roading on a dirt road/playing in the snow.... i wouldnt worry about a lift. Just get some good slightly larger than stock size tires for better grippy. Without any trimming or bolt cutting, 255/65/17, but you may have some rubbing at full lock. there is a pinch weld that you can cut slices into then fold over (then you will need to seal and paint to protect from rust) and the bolt for the ball joint i believe has a longer than needed stud and you can trim that abit to get a wider tire to fit.