Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Fluid Leak and other endless Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/fluid-leak-and-other-endless-problems-9203.html)

WJsAreJunk 05-07-2010 08:16 AM

Fluid Leak and other endless Problems

I have had my 1999 WJ for 8 years and in that time I have had to replace all four wheel bearings twice, Rear Diff rebuilt Tranny replaced. Brakes total replacement twice.

Why do the brakes warp so often?

There is a loud clicking noise when I turn right or left if in 4x4. 4x4 does not disengage right away.

The rear diff, crank case and oil pan are all leaking and maybe the tranny is too.

There are always strange electrical problems including the shift plate light working intermittently especially when cold outside, passenger window motor dead, (are the front and back window regulators interchangeable?) clutch fan relay blew trice (finally replaced with old style fan mounted on motor)

Now that I totally own it, I want to make this beast work properly any ideas on what to start with and how to make these problems stay in the past?

Chaoul1 05-07-2010 09:23 AM

Re: Fluid Leak and other endless Problems

Well, do you change the Diff. Fluid, T-case Fluid every 30,000 miles?

I can tell you to change those Teeves Calipers that you have now and upgrade to the Akebeno Calipers. WJ's made Before 5/11/02 have the Teeves. And WJ's made After 5/12/02 have the Akebeno. When I owned my 01 WJ the brakes warp really bad, until I upgrades a 04' WJ and the brakes are soo much better.

So Upgrade those Calipers to the Akebeno ones. THose will solve your problem. You can look on eBay or www.car-part.com. We also have a vendor here for brakes R1 Concepts.

For any other parts look on www.car-part.com that's a good site for looking for good prices.

Kpurintun 05-07-2010 10:50 AM

sounds like you jump you r jeep off ramps!... don't do that.

WJsAreJunk 05-09-2010 11:53 PM

nope no ramps, maybe I should. Since I out right own it I want to fix it. I also want to take off some of those soft curves. Anyone seen a wk bumper on a wj? That would be cool.

As far as the leaks go, yus think it might only be gasket replacement issues?

Frango100 05-10-2010 06:11 AM

For the oil pan im not sure, but the tranny and diffs use RTV to seal them off. When changing the fluids/oils, remove all old RTV from the sealing surfaces and degrease them well before applying the new RTV. Just take care that no remains stay in the tranny/diffs. When properly applied, it will give you no leaks until next fluid/oil change.:)

JeepMe 05-10-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJsAreJunk (Post 203308)
I have had my 1999 WJ for 8 years and in that time I have had to replace all four wheel bearings twice, Rear Diff rebuilt Tranny replaced. Brakes total replacement twice.

Why do the brakes warp so often?

There is a loud clicking noise when I turn right or left if in 4x4. 4x4 does not disengage right away.

The rear diff, crank case and oil pan are all leaking and maybe the tranny is too.

There are always strange electrical problems including the shift plate light working intermittently especially when cold outside, passenger window motor dead, (are the front and back window regulators interchangeable?) clutch fan relay blew trice (finally replaced with old style fan mounted on motor)

Now that I totally own it, I want to make this beast work properly any ideas on what to start with and how to make these problems stay in the past?

The differential leak should only take you ~1hr. to fix. You'll need RTV sealant and new gear oil. I just changed the oil in my front and rear diffs and it took less than 2hrs for both of them. Like someone else said, it's just a RVT gasket. You don't even need to jack the vehicle up. The oil pan is most likely a gasket that you'll need to buy. Replacing them is easy.

What did your wheel bearings sound like when they went out? I have a whinning coming from my front somewhere. I can hear it start around 10mph and the pitch varies with speed. It's not real loud (can't hear it w/ the windows up) but pretty noticable with the windows down. Once I reach about 45mph the wind noise is too loud and you can't hear it. I'm guessing it's a wheel bearing or the front diff gears aren't shimmed correctly. As I've never had a wheel bearing go out on me, I was wondering if my sound is similar to what you had.

WJsAreJunk 05-11-2010 09:27 AM

it was a loud grumble noise. The rear diff sounded like a jet plane and when the tranny went out it was the front pump.