Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   '06 WK HEMI front end CLUNK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/06-wk-hemi-front-end-clunk-9210.html)

Dunecrawler 05-07-2010 01:45 PM

'06 WK HEMI front end CLUNK

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a 2006 JGC 5.7 Overland with some problems I just cant seem to work out. I would appreciate any help.

1. The front end is noisy going over bumps. Seems quiet as the suspension gets compressed, but loud CLUNK as the truck clears the bump. I think it is coming from the right front, but not sure. Maybe middle somewhere. I already replaced the outer steering tie-rod ends (ball joints). The Diff mountings seems fine (center one replaced). Fairly new Brillstein shocks. Anything else I should have a look at? I checked everything under the car. Even banged on it with a rubber mallet. Still canít find anything except the LCA bushes (see previous thread), but I donít think that is it.

2. The transmission also has a clunk shifting from D to N or even into P, but most noticeable from D to N.

3. When 'playing" with the throttle, there is (again) a clunk from the front somewhere in the drivetrain. Mostly happens in high gear when lifting off and accelerating again. Sounds like backlash in the front diff, but not so sure anymore since I also have the problems mentioned above.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-07-2010 02:07 PM

Re: '06 WK HEMI front end CLUNK

1. i would check your sway link bushings.
2. have you replaced the tranny filters? the old filters caused problems like that to occur.
3. there are bushings under the vehicle that could also have gone bad.

Dunecrawler 05-07-2010 02:12 PM

I have replaced the tranny oil and filter about 7000 miles back.
Regarding the bushings, that is my problem. I basically check them all but cant find the one that is bad.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-07-2010 03:33 PM

I have an 06 and here are some things that I've done or at least going to do ...

The 06 model is notorious for the shifter bezel module(TCM) to go bad and therefore gives off wrong torque management data and you feel the backlash from the accelator ... there are two fixes to that ... interestingly enough the SRT8 has the same transmission and some of them have replaced the starter and the problem seems to go away while some of them have had to replace the top assemble of the shifter bezel that is quite costly

the clunk going over bumps in my case it was my rear track bar and after replacing that it went away because after each time i went over a bump the car shaked side to side making a clunk noice

also what these guys have mentioned about the sway bars

that should be a good starting point

The top bezel can also be cleaned ... clean the contacts and see if that helps

here's a thread that'll be useful let us know if u need more help

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...highlight=prnd

robpp 05-07-2010 03:36 PM

with it on a lift, if you accelerate a bit you can see it move when the diff rubber mounts go bad. there are 2 of them, you said only one was replced. they are pressed into the diff, would hope they did them both when apart.

Dunecrawler 05-07-2010 04:47 PM

Thanks for all the info. Guess I will have to get under it again. More banging with the rubber mallet. Only the center mounting was replace, other two were ok.
Regarding the TCM/ESM. I hope that is not it. I have the 545RFE. Everything else about the transmission seems OK. No fault codes or anything.
Will crawl under it again in a couple of days and let you know

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-07-2010 05:14 PM

oh my bad didn't see that u had the 5.7 LOL

hopefully u'll figure it out though

Dunecrawler 05-07-2010 05:39 PM

No problem. I learned something new. BTW, any idea yet why the 545RFE bezel is so much cheaper? (if you can find it). Does it also include the TCM?
I can only find the bezel for the A580 on JustforJeeps.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-07-2010 06:00 PM

check out the thread that i posted earlier Milous (jeep info guru) has posted some part numbers on there for the RFE transmission as well and they do include the TCM

Dunecrawler 05-07-2010 06:04 PM

I had a look. Got the part number, but cant find it anywhere online...

NHWK05 05-07-2010 06:57 PM

This sounds like the differential bushing that is located on the drivers front side where the diff mounts to the sub frame thingy.

Dunecrawler 05-08-2010 09:09 AM

Just checked everything under the car again. Cant see ANY problems. Everything looks great, but obviously something is wrong. Problem here in Dubai is that nobody seems to be able to do fault finding. The way it works is you tell them what is wrong and then they will fix it. Very frustrating! :mad: