Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   2006 4.7L Cold Air Intake or Cat Back (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/2006-4-7l-cold-air-intake-or-cat-back-9308.html)

lewi3069 05-10-2010 01:27 PM

2006 4.7L Cold Air Intake or Cat Back

I will prob. be getting both of them for my jeep. But which do you think I should get first the CAI or CB? Which would give better performance and/or MPG gains? Also any recommendations on what I should get? I wanted to say I was looking at a K&N like 77 series and a magnaflow. When I get the links I was looking at Ill post them also.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...26+Accessories)

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...xhaust+Systems)

pjs1965 05-10-2010 02:18 PM

Re: 2006 4.7L Cold Air Intake or Cat Back

I'm partial to the CAI. It has the most potential for increasing HP and it also changes the tone (sound) of the exhaust IMO. If you can afford to do both, well then there's no choosing right?

lewi3069 05-10-2010 02:38 PM

This is true I will do both eventually. I just have to pace the spending so I was going to see which would give the most benefit first. I was personally leaning towards CAI so I wouldn't have to take it on the lift and what not.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-10-2010 07:54 PM

i put a magnaflow exhaust on mine last april and just got a CAI now. it does make the exhaust have a deeper tone. i only did the exhaust because my stock one blew out otherwise i wouldnt have done it.

Devilsmed98 05-11-2010 03:50 PM

I also put a magnaflow muffler on mine a couple months ago and just got my AFE Stage II Intake two weeks ago. The muffler sounded good over stock on my 4.7 and now with the AFE it sounds sooo much better at WOT, actually gets some heads turning.

Also, if you go magnaflow, don't spend the extra money and get the CB system. The original piping for our WK's are stainless steel 2.75" piping. The Magnaflow is 2.5" SS piping. Reduced exhaust size is no good. I kept all my piping and welded in a 3"in/out 22" magnaflow muffler. If anything it helps and costs a lot less.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-11-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsmed98 (Post 205898)
I also put a magnaflow muffler on mine a couple months ago and just got my AFE Stage II Intake two weeks ago. The muffler sounded good over stock on my 4.7 and now with the AFE it sounds sooo much better at WOT, actually gets some heads turning.

Also, if you go magnaflow, don't spend the extra money and get the CB system. The original piping for our WK's are stainless steel 2.75" piping. The Magnaflow is 2.5" SS piping. Reduced exhaust size is no good. I kept all my piping and welded in a 3"in/out 22" magnaflow muffler. If anything it helps and costs a lot less.

my magnaflow system is 3in the whole way through

maxst2 05-11-2010 04:15 PM

Magnaflow SS is 3inch catback system. Original is 2.5inch...and 2.75 is the SRT i believe... but i know that the mangaflow is 3inch.

I just put on intake - AFE stage 2. I like it.. its got nice heat/water shielding and it attaches to the stock bottom air box for more protection.

Also got a superchips flashpaq. Those plus new plugs boosted my mpg by 2. No difference between 87 performance tune and mileage tune though for mpg... 87 performance tune feels more peppy if i want to get on it. (Using 89 oct E10 fuel)

IMO if your doing the intake and exhaust, getting a tuner would be a good idea.

Devilsmed98 05-11-2010 08:00 PM

Hmm then I guess I was informed wrong. I am looking into the superchips flashpaq now that I have the exhaust/intake. Too many mixed reviews on it tho. If I had the 5.7 I guess it would be worth it to get the diablo.

lewi3069 05-12-2010 10:46 AM

Ok so I stoped at one of my friends and he has a flowmaster 40 laying around that he will give me since im going to hook him up with some strobes for his Ram. That way people get out of his way when his on a call.

maxst2 05-12-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsmed98 (Post 206064)
Hmm then I guess I was informed wrong. I am looking into the superchips flashpaq now that I have the exhaust/intake. Too many mixed reviews on it tho. If I had the 5.7 I guess it would be worth it to get the diablo.

I love the superschips flashpaq I got. It made the transmission shift so much smoother I thought, along with better shift points. That alone made it worth it. That an I can read and clear codes.. which is nice. :D

The mileage tune does work.. and for road trips it bumped up my mpg by 2-3.

Devilsmed98 05-12-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxst2 (Post 206371)
I love the superschips flashpaq I got. It made the transmission shift so much smoother I thought, along with better shift points. That alone made it worth it. That an I can read and clear codes.. which is nice. :D

The mileage tune does work.. and for road trips it bumped up my mpg by 2-3.

That mileage tune alone would save me about $6.27 each ski trip I make. I make about 20 trips a winter and this year being I will be in college expect to make more. So at 20 trips I can save around $125. Not bad at all. How much did that chip run you and where exactly did you get it from?

Sorry to hijack the post. That's great Lewi, make sure you post up some videos of it when you get it installed man!

lewi3069 05-12-2010 02:57 PM

Will do! no worries on the hijack. I was also going to add for my CAI I was going to try and craft my own out of PVC like Matt did here

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...hlight=diy+cai

Do you all think I could use the 4in pipe as well. Also has anyone done this with their 4.7L

Thanks for the input in advance