Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Ok boys, any swap pros out there? This little girl needs some help... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/ok-boys-any-swap-pros-out-there-this-little-girl-needs-some-help-9361.html)

JeradyDavis 05-11-2010 05:39 PM

Ok boys, any swap pros out there? This little girl needs some help...

So i was given a 99 WJ limited and freakin LOVE it. I would marry it if I could. Handsome, loaded, ballsy, and oh so fun... only problem, like most men, the B(*%% who had it before me blew the motor. Now I gotta fix it. I got a motor coming, a 4.7l v8 i believe out of a dodge dakota. it had the 4.7 in it before, and I'm a hoping this is a mellow swap. I really dont need the nightmare. Anybody done this before? Am i gonna have computer issues? Basically as I understand it, everything should work, but the motor not being out of a jeep, will that give me headaches? I need some help, and any tips you might wanna send my way will be much appreciated. If i was the type to play dumb and twirl my hair to get what i want, I would, but I'm not, I'll be in the garage if you need me. ~J

BTW, nice to meet you all.

JeradyDavis 05-11-2010 05:42 PM

Re: Ok boys, any swap pros out there? This little girl needs some help...

by the way, that was a dig on women, not men... I'd rather be in the garge than the hen house...

White WK Swagga 05-11-2010 05:42 PM

Welcome to the garage. We have a few members here who've done a HEMI swap and such. I'm sure someone will chime in.

JeradyDavis 05-11-2010 06:17 PM

thanks... all messages are welcome... even if you just wanna say hi :)

Chaoul1 05-11-2010 06:29 PM

It should be good to go for what I know.

blackpepper 05-11-2010 06:49 PM

If it's the same motor, it should be ok. All the hookups for the lines and wires should be in the same place. Do the dakotas have the same transmission? That's the only thing I could see as a potential problem.

Welcome :)

vicpick58 05-11-2010 06:53 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. There is a difference in the 4.7 engines, I believe it has something to do with the tone ring (16 tooth vs 32) I am no expert, but this is just something that I seem to have heard somewhere.

The older 4.7s had 16 and the newer ones had 32, I don't remember the year that they changed, 2002? maybe.

I don't know how that will effect your swap, but seems if you have the old engine, you could change over most of the external components like exhaust manifolds and such and make it work.

Good luck

Oh by the way, I understand about loving the WJ, I have had two of them and even though they can be a big draw on the bank account for repairs and maintenance, they are hard to beat for all around utility and off road fun.

RYANSWJ 05-11-2010 07:10 PM

Welcome to the Garage

Scottina06 05-11-2010 07:17 PM

what year is the dakota engine?

JeradyDavis 05-11-2010 07:23 PM

I'm waiting for a reply on the year, I think it's an 00, which should work as far as i can tell. The big thing is the 16t crank, I'm double checking on that too. I do not know what tranny was in the dodge, I understand that as long as the motor is a vin "N" 16t crank tone, it should work. I'm really nervous its gonna get here and I'm gonna have ecu issues. I want my baby

JeradyDavis 05-11-2010 07:29 PM

btw scottina, red's my fave color

scjeep4.7HO 05-11-2010 07:57 PM

If the donor truck has a 4 plug PCM it's also gonna be the 32 tooth tone ring. Our 16 tooth counterparts have a 3 plug PCM and a seperate TCM... That is a quick way for whoever to check. The manifolds are different but you can reuse your old ones. Other then that they are the same. The newer versions aso have different IAC motors things like that but that's just a throttle body swap fix.