Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Electrical issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/electrical-issue-9429.html)

Mistereblack 05-13-2010 10:58 AM

Electrical issue

Hey, i'm having and intermittent electrical problem on startup. It has only happened twice and it may be related to rainy days.

Anyway when i turn the ignition on, none of the systems seem to initialize. nothing lights up, and the engine doesn't turn over or give me a clicking low battery. I fiddled with the ignition and eventually the car started up as usual.

The second time it happened was after a rainy day at work. I turn the ignition to the on position and none of the systems seem to initialize again. nothing lights up on the dashboard. I turn the ignition and nothing happens. I fiddle around with it for a moment and i get another symptom. When i turn the ignition off i get a steady ticking sound from the fuse box and my gages receive signal with each tick. i tried to isolate the ticking sound but couldn't localize it any more than the general fuse box. i took the key out and the ticking continued. i fiddled around for a while and eventually it all started up like normal. Both of these instances reset my radio.

Any thoughts? moisture in solenoid? solenoid going bad? ignition needs replaced? wonky battery connection?

thanks

Scottina06 05-13-2010 11:38 AM

Re: Electrical issue

maybe the key switch

robpp 05-13-2010 11:47 AM

early models ign switch goes bad, ~45 for a new one.

Mistereblack 05-13-2010 04:36 PM

one more symptom. Went to get morning coffe and the display on my hood read an error. Instant mileage, average mileage, trip miles, miles to service all read "------" where the digits would be. still think it's the ignition switch?

robpp 05-13-2010 04:44 PM

what MY is your SRT8 bro?

in early ones, both the ignition switch and the headlight stalk caused similar issues. after 08, i havent heard of these like the early ones.

and you did say you messed with the key and stuff happened.

but a dead or weak battery will cause these types of symptons as well. the OEM battery is good for maybe 3 years then its bye bye.

my best guess is its one of the three items I called out. but I have been wrong before!

maybe you could spend a minute and make a sig or change the default next to your name to the proper jeep, then when peeps try to anser, they dont start the answer with qquestions; im just saying.

scjeep4.7HO 05-13-2010 06:44 PM

It sounds like the ignition switch to me.

robpp 05-13-2010 08:31 PM

for less than 50 thats the best choice

mountian goat 05-16-2010 01:46 AM

i had the a simaler problem with my o4 wj, it end up being a body ground strap, if one of the 3 grounds you have is bad it will cause stuff like that to happen, i know somthing so simple can cause that to happen, well it does. i have seen the same problem in many cars, i simple added a nother ground and the problems went away.. good luck

robpp 05-16-2010 07:30 AM

goat, im sure we could all think of 50 things that could cause these symptons; however, if you search other sites about these same symptons on wk's, you find NUMEROUS posts about these COMMON types of failures that happen to MANY of the same model year. IMO, the internet mechanic can only look for commonalities and post about them, trying to guess every possible way a failure could happen, while a good exercise, can be a huge waste of time. sort of like the WJ and blend doors. soon as someone posts the symptoms, everyone chimes in: blend doors very popular. in reality, blend doors plus 20 other things could cause the HVAC not to work properly.

all just IMO bro, not hating; just saying!

anyway, hopefully misterblack got it figured.

Mistereblack 05-18-2010 01:15 AM

Pretty sure it's the switch. Been more often past few days and it all seems to be localized to the ignition somehow. Unfortunately I have a forced leave from work for the next few weeks and will not have the scratch to buy a $40 part. But thank you guys for pointing me in the (hopefully) right direction! Pics of my ride will be coming soon too. Modest but it's a work in progress