Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Kicker upgrade in WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/kicker-upgrade-in-wj-9462.html)

peepersjeepers 05-14-2010 12:27 PM

Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
so i have my cart full of audio goodies and ready to check out over on www.justforjeeps.com and i notice that with the kicker upgrade the dash tweeters are 3.5" while the ones in my 99 WJ are 2.5".

my question is can i make the larger tweeters fit?

Scottina06 05-14-2010 12:31 PM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
anything is possible.....

be sure to enter code jeepgarage5 for an extra 5% off

peepersjeepers 05-14-2010 12:34 PM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 207854)
anything is possible.....

but at what cost? im all for hacking things up, but how much?

has anyone else done this??

Scottina06 05-14-2010 12:44 PM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
I have never heard of any WJ guys putting the oem WK kickers in.....

you may have to make adpater plates and wire them yourself

Chuck 05-14-2010 12:45 PM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 207861)
I have never heard of any WJ guys putting the oem WK kickers in.....

you may have to make adpater plates and wire them yourself

Im pretty sure Ryan aka 99limited did the kicker upgrade. The only thing is that tweeters will not fit unless you custom mount them. Im pretty sure he sold or is selling his tweeters.

Scottina06 05-14-2010 12:50 PM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
there ya go bro

Milous 05-14-2010 01:05 PM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peepersjeepers (Post 207857)
but at what cost? im all for hacking things up, but how much?

has anyone else done this??

It would take some alteration in the mounting area, to what extent I am not sure. But the metal mounts on the WJ would have to be cut away, and the heater duct would probably have to be softened and reshaped.

Here is the mounting area for the WJ:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_tweeter5.jpg

and the size of the Kicker tweeters:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/sound/Kicker_tweeter_03.jpg

peepersjeepers 05-20-2010 07:54 AM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
got the new units on monday. the 6x9's and the 6.5's plugged right in no problems. took out the old tweeters and used a dremmel to make room for the new, bigger, 3.5" tweeters. the plugs didn't match so i had to sodder the plug off the old tweeters on to the new ones. kept the factory amp for now and they sound great. thanks for all the feed back

Chuck 05-20-2010 08:07 AM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peepersjeepers (Post 210699)
got the new units on monday. the 6x9's and the 6.5's plugged right in no problems. took out the old tweeters and used a dremmel to make room for the new, bigger, 3.5" tweeters. the plugs didn't match so i had to sodder the plug off the old tweeters on to the new ones. kept the factory amp for now and they sound great. thanks for all the feed back

Any photos of the process? How much better was the sound?

peepersjeepers 05-20-2010 10:10 AM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
sorry no photos. the process was so fast i didn't even think to take pics. the sound is a million times better. but my stock speakers were blown

dumermuthjared 03-09-2011 08:39 PM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
any update on the kicker install?
i have been looking at doing this for a while and i swear to kicker?
do i need the kicker amp?
wont it take a lot of re-wiring if i get a new amp or will the infinity amp be fine?

remmy 03-11-2011 09:38 PM

Re: Kicker upgrade in WJ
 
Not trying to be a debby downer but the amount of fabbing, money, and time isnt worth it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community