Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   Headlight Removal Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/headlight-removal-question-9466.html)

DAVY27 05-14-2010 02:31 PM

Headlight Removal Question

Removing my headlights to bake and paint and came across a slight problem. On WKjeeps.com it didnt include the removal of the front bumper but there are 2 screw around the bottom of the housing which i THINK are impossible to remove unless the bumper is off. so...is it necessary to remove the front bumper?

White WK Swagga 05-14-2010 02:42 PM

Re: Headlight Removal Question

Yeah davy. You don't have to completely remove the bumper. You can remove some of the bolts to give the bumper some play to get behind there. and it's not just getting it off. if you manage to get those bolts out with the bumper on you still gave to get those bolts back in which is even harder to do.

SRTILL8 05-14-2010 02:49 PM

i went thru this with mario at his shop when i changed out my headlights a while back.

all we did was remove the front grille. kept the bumper on. its a lil tough but you can get it bro, just if you cant get a spotlight shining where your working- try to feel it out bro.

i take it you already know ablout the (clip in sounds) that they make when you know they clicked right into place, right? if they dont clcik, then re do it until it clicks.

gl bro

DAVY27 05-14-2010 03:22 PM

thanks Nate and Atilla! just pulled the bumper right under the headlight a little out to give it more room.

Scottina06 05-14-2010 03:25 PM

the 08-10's have a little space to put your ratchet through to get the screw next to the grill. The one on the other side can be reach by laying down beside the wheels and reaching through the fender well. I took my headlights out one time and put one back in while talking on the phone with Frankie(xoxstugots) he can attest to that. its is super easy without rremoving one bolt.rivet on the bumper.

DAVY27 05-14-2010 03:45 PM

thanks Scottie! i just used my twig-like arms to reach the one you lay down beside the wheel lol.

btw...should i take off the stillens or the housing can be removed with the stillen on?

SoCalMoparWK 05-14-2010 03:46 PM

Good info for me. Bout to do mine soon.

Scottina06 05-14-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 207959)
thanks Scottie! i just used my twig-like arms to reach the one you lay down beside the wheel lol.

btw...should i take off the stillens or the housing can be removed with the stillen on?

yeah....just leave the stillens on:thumbsup: