Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Low Gas!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/low-gas-9491.html)

bullet700 05-15-2010 10:42 AM

Low Gas!!

I own a "05 GC 4.7, i was told its not good to let the gas tank go too low on gas. How serious is this claim? what are the consequences?

Chris 05-15-2010 10:45 AM

Re: Low Gas!!

I think this is personal preference to be honest. I have an '06, and I run it sometimes 10 - 20 miles with the gas light on and it's fine. I have heard to actually let your gas tank get low sometimes that way crap can't settle in the tank over time.

Scottina06 05-15-2010 10:46 AM

I dont see it doing too m uch damage short term. But over time it may. Any kind of stress on the fuel pump and sediment that settles to the bottom of the tank being sucked into the fuel system could do some damage I guess.

GR33N D3M0N 05-15-2010 10:46 AM

ive had it get down to the point where the EVIC said i had 0 miles to go, but i was able to go another 2 miles to the gas station! Multiple times...all on accident tho!

SRTILL8 05-15-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 208263)
I dont see it doing too m uch damage short term. But over time it may. Any kind of stress on the fuel pump and sediment that settles to the bottom of the tank being sucked into the fuel system could do some damage I guess.

yup^^not major but tedious/preventable damage. in the long haul itll clogg up your fuel filter/pump. the gas tanks has a floater which floats on top of the amount of gas you have in the tank. you never want to have it too empty cause all the gunk is on the bottom of the tank. so if it gets too low itll feed the gunk into your filter/pump along with what lil gas you have in there.

i wouldnt recommend riding too low on gas. gl though bro:thumbsup:

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-15-2010 12:09 PM

with modern gas, is there still gunk that gets in the tank? i thought that was a thing of the past.

05quadratrac 05-15-2010 07:27 PM

Dont the floating assemblys have a filter built in? I know the one in my 73' Mach 1 did so I would guess the newer ones are even better. I mostly worry about running out of gas, you would have to literally be sucking fumes with the floating assembly laying on the very bottom to suck up any gunk or debri settled at the bottom of the tank though I could be wrong.

OBXJeep 05-15-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.7L wk (Post 208264)
ive had it get down to the point where the EVIC said i had 0 miles to go, but i was able to go another 2 miles to the gas station! Multiple times...all on accident tho!

I had that happened once and I about shat myself! Haha. Luckily the random exit I got off had a gas station. I was able to drive a couple miles too.

GR33N D3M0N 05-15-2010 09:44 PM

i passed a coupla gas stations, and i had like 5 miles left in the tanks, and like 7 miles to get to my gas station, so i thought it was worth it...i had a customer who was telling me that he had to change the fuel pump on his GMC Yukon because his wife was using it, and was using it untill the tank was empty, and the reason why she was using his truck was because her car was in the shop...for a fuel pump HAHA!

Knightrider03m 05-15-2010 10:12 PM

You don't want it to go completely out of gas often due to your fuel pump. I've never ran out of gas (knock on wood) in my jeep or my MKZ but I've became so close, the DTE has been on 0 for a few :lol:

ekaz 05-15-2010 10:56 PM

Doesn't the fuel in the tank help keep the fuel pump cool too? So wouldn't running it too low cause extra wear on the pump by gas getting too low and the pump running hotter than normal?
I'm not sure, just a thought....

JETLIFE 05-15-2010 11:21 PM

Lol, I ran out of gas one time in my Jeep.