Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Strange ticking from A/C pulley...or thereabouts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/strange-ticking-from-a-c-pulley-or-thereabouts-9522.html)

StoneCold 05-16-2010 03:53 PM

Strange ticking from A/C pulley...or thereabouts

Evenin' all.

Been busy putting on new rotors/pads and replaced tranny filter and fluid. All went OK and really pleased with myself and the results...however!

Jeep has decided to develop a ticking sound from the area where the A/C pulley is. The A/C itself works fine, no probs at all. I've had my ear up to it, well as close as I dare while the engine is running and it does seem to come from this area, but I could be wrong. I don't think its seized. Does it have a clutch or anything?

Any ideas? The ticking does seem to get faster when I rev the engine.

02 WJ 4.7 V8 05-16-2010 08:47 PM

Re: Strange ticking from A/C pulley...or thereabouts

mine does that too but i actually see the inner pulley or something move when it does make that sound but its only when i have the A/C on

StoneCold 05-17-2010 04:44 AM

Update; This morning I discovered what is was.

Driving down the motorway, went to change lanes and the steering was really heavy, like the pump had gone. Pulled into a layby and noticed the temp guage has shot up to almost max.

Opened the hood to find that the serpentine belt had come off and there was a pile of melted plastic where the tensioner used to be. Turns out the bearing had seized and the tensioner was shredded.

Result? Jeep is now in the garage until tomorrow when the part arrives.:(

Martyp 05-17-2010 03:28 PM

Wow! At least you don't have any damage other than a belt and tensioner...

She'll be out pounding the streets again in no time! :thumbsup:

StoneCold 05-18-2010 03:54 AM

Yeah I know, it could have been a lot worse. When I opened the hood I was like 'thank **** for that!' I'd had visions of a knackered steering pump, water pump etc. half expected to find fluid pouring out from underneath, especially when the temp gauge went through the roof.

Get her back tomorrow though, gonna take her a nice wash and wax.

Was kinda weird last night looking out the window and she wasn't there.:(

PDR1 05-18-2010 07:40 AM

I noticed something similar on my 2.7 CRD. I only recently bought this Jeep so I had the engine running with the bonnet (hood) up... just looking around the engine bay. I heard a click then a minute or so later another click... finally I noticed that the pulley with the words “viscous heater” would stop turning in the middle with the outer part of the pulley being turned by the serpentine belt. After a while the middle would start turning again.

StoneCold 05-18-2010 07:50 AM

Thats more than likely a sign a bearing or something is on it's way out. My ticking was pretty quick, like a fast clock. Sounds very similar to mine. Basically the bearing seized and stopped the pulley from moving and the friction from the belt caused it melt and shred into bits. I'll post pics of the carnage tonight.

Be safe and check it out, cause losing your steering at 70mph ain't funny!:eek:

StoneCold 05-18-2010 12:14 PM

Here's the carnage...

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...g?t=1274202682

And this what's left of the pulley, the rest is strewn up the A9!
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...g?t=1274202857

Martyp 05-18-2010 12:50 PM

Don't know what's worse man...

The fact that the serp. belt & pulley disintegrated or the state of that engine bay!! :worried:

:lol:

StoneCold 05-18-2010 12:55 PM

Hey the weather's been rubbish and I live near a farm, so there's dirt n horse sh*t everywhere:o

I did wonder how long it would take for someone to crack at the state of it:lol:

I am gonna clean, it's on the list, honest. Gonna polish up all the metal too so it's nice n shiny:thumbsup:

Martyp 05-18-2010 01:00 PM

Good luck with the metal polishing, I started and after 10 minutes of achieving next to nothing gave up. :lol:

These engines don't mind getting wet either, just cover up the alternator and you're good to go.

I'll bring my white cotton gloves when we meet up! :D

StoneCold 05-18-2010 01:06 PM

I've got this polishin kit with loads of 'mops?' and bars of stuff etc. Been pretty good so far. Managed to polish an old 15" adjustable spanner, it's like chrome now and probably took an hour or so.

Just so you know I was only practising, I don't make a habit of polishing spanners:o:lol::lol:.

I was gonna try some of that 'Gunk' stuff of whatever its called out of Halfords. Any suggestions?