Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   3.7 Oil Leak help needed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/3-7-oil-leak-help-needed-9536.html)

50btripn 05-17-2010 08:50 AM

3.7 Oil Leak help needed

New to the site, and new to Jeeps.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4

I have an oil leak from the valve cover, driver side. When you look at the cover from the front of the vehicle, the leak appears to be from the #2 bolt area, left side from the front. I replaced the valve cover and gasket, and still leaking, same bolt. Any suggestions?

Also, I put the vehicle on a lift and had a mechanic look underneath, and he saw some oil leaking from the area of the passenger side valve cover.

A friend of mine, who used to work for Jeep (mechanic) said the 3.7's were notorious for the valve covers cracking, leaking, that is whyI replaced the drivers side. If this is true, and the OEM replacement is just as cheaply made, then where can I go to get a sturdier replacement?

Thank you for any/all help and suggestions. I am sick of smelling burnt oil.

brentseland 05-24-2010 12:19 AM

Re: 3.7 Oil Leak help needed

I got some ideas so take em if ya want em but I would mabee start by checking to see if everything in the joint of the valve cover and the engine are clean and flat, with a metal ruler. If they are or not use a film of liquid gasket and a gasket and seal it up. After it cures ,clean the cool engine with engine cleaner and keep checking for the leaks. I dont think that a poor quality cover would leak unless the thing warped from the bolt torque or the pattern the bolts were installed.

Scottina06 05-24-2010 01:18 AM

has to be overtorqued

tiresmokindad 05-24-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50btripn (Post 208994)
New to the site, and new to Jeeps.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4

I have an oil leak from the valve cover, driver side. When you look at the cover from the front of the vehicle, the leak appears to be from the #2 bolt area, left side from the front. I replaced the valve cover and gasket, and still leaking, same bolt. Any suggestions?

Also, I put the vehicle on a lift and had a mechanic look underneath, and he saw some oil leaking from the area of the passenger side valve cover.

A friend of mine, who used to work for Jeep (mechanic) said the 3.7's were notorious for the valve covers cracking, leaking, that is whyI replaced the drivers side. If this is true, and the OEM replacement is just as cheaply made, then where can I go to get a sturdier replacement?

Thank you for any/all help and suggestions. I am sick of smelling burnt oil.

I think there is a slight hole in your valve cover. Try to to purchase again where you pruchase your valve cover. :thumbsup: