Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Connecting power switch to amplifier (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/connecting-power-switch-to-amplifier-9579.html)

John_R 05-18-2010 09:53 AM

Connecting power switch to amplifier

I'm almost done wiring up the amplifier (older Punch 150) to drive my subwoofer, using the factory BA system, but am really wondering about something and how it works:

I read a post here (I think by Matt) where it stated you could get the amplifier "switch" (what you'd normally get from an aftermarket power antenna 'out', for instance) from either the cigarette lighter (ignition on) or from one of the factory amp speaker +

The lighter makes sense but I don't want my amp on all the time (the ignition is on), but I am not sure about the speaker method. Does that provide 12 vdc? Would it cause the amp to go on and off between the sound (from that speaker) being on/off/low, etc.?

Any other sources maybe I'm missing? the two yellow/red on the amp seem to be 12 vdc constant, so that's out...I've already wired a dedicated 12 v from the battery for the main power, but need this one and only want to do this once :)

stephsman21 05-18-2010 09:58 AM

Re: Connecting power switch to amplifier

you can go from the cig lighter. check to see if it only has power when the jeep is on, that is what i did!!!

John_R 05-18-2010 10:03 AM

Thanks...yeah, I am going to do that as a last resort, but with a manual switch (no matter how I hook it up), so if I don't want to run the amp/sub.

However, I'd really rather have something 'automatic' and "part time", so to speak, so that the amp isn't on every time I turn the ignition on/drive...BTW - is that powered in 'acc' position too?

ekaz 05-18-2010 10:12 AM

You can use the cigarette lighter still, just put a switch in the wire between the cigarette lighter and the amp. If the amp doesn't see the 12v, it will not turn on.

CPT2010 05-18-2010 10:41 AM

exactly what EKAZ said, just make sure the toggle switch is a heavy duty one. You want it to hold the current without frying or melting

John_R 05-18-2010 12:17 PM

True...I was just hoping to provide a more automated method, so I don't have to remember to operate this switch. However, more than likely I'll have to go this way. Guess I better plan on running another wire on back :D (which thankfully is pretty simple on these)

I guess I don't understand how the speaker method would work anyhow...I mean, does it provide 12 vdc? wouldn't it vary? I guess I'm a little confused on that.

Side note on the main power...I am thinking of putting a 20 amp fuse close to the amp and one close to the battery (30 amp?). That long length kind of makes me nervous and the batt. would serve as a safety in case the wire grounded out somewhere and the amp fuse would help protect the amp itself; if that makes sense.

Can't wait to get this sucker hooked up!

ekaz 05-18-2010 12:30 PM

How did you want to automate it? It's either on or off. You can leave the amp to power on everytime the ignition is on and just turn down the bass all the way. I'd like to know how you wanted to automate it as it's more of a I feel like bass today, now I don't. Your amp needs a remote turn on, so a switch in that wire will work. Leave the switch in one position and the amp turns on with the ignition and you're all set. Flip the switch and the amp is off.
As for the speaker deal, it basically "sees" the signal at the speaker and uses that to turn the amp on. It will not cut out during low parts of the music as there is signal as long as the radio is on.

08Hemi 05-18-2010 12:34 PM

you just need a remote turn-on lead? I have heard of some using the power button on the rear-view mirror for the radar detectors...or you can pigg-back an acc fuse like I did for my radar detector. Come on with the car, turns off with the car...I can't remember which one I used, but here is a pic. Since this power the radar detect. I am not sure if the same piggy-back will work since all you need is a pulse saying "turn me on"...but it probably would work...guys?

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/DSC00682.jpg

John_R 05-18-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekaz (Post 209724)
How did you want to automate it? It's either on or off. You can leave the amp to power on everytime the ignition is on and just turn down the bass all the way. I'd like to know how you wanted to automate it as it's more of a I feel like bass today, now I don't. Your amp needs a remote turn on, so a switch in that wire will work. Leave the switch in one position and the amp turns on with the ignition and you're all set. Flip the switch and the amp is off.
As for the speaker deal, it basically "sees" the signal at the speaker and uses that to turn the amp on. It will not cut out during low parts of the music as there is signal as long as the radio is on.

I guess when I say 'automated', it would operate like an aftermarket system that uses the power antenna lead (from the aftermarket radio if you were using) as the remote switch (or 'automatic' when radio is turned on or off becomes the 'on/off' of the amp). The other switch I am talking about would run inline on this lead and be to bypass the amp/sub (not the factory unit) at times that I don't want to use it; say when I'm sitting in the car at lunch and listening to talk radio...

The speaker thing makes sense but I was starting to get confused if it was a constant 12 vdc signal (that is needed by the amp), being the sound level varies. Perhaps I don't understand how the speaker receives it signals and how it 'knows' what is louder vs. quieter. Meaning, if the voltage doesn't vary, then what does...Watts? I suppose what is confusing me is the amp's requirement of this wattage, if that's the case. Say you had 0.01 watts vs. 26 watts (peak, let's say as an arbitrary #) output to a speaker, is that always 12 volts and would it affect the amp's 'on/off' signal? More specifically, there must be a limit that is needed by the amp? Hope my ? makes sense.

As for that other location, I guess I'm looking for something that is only activated via the radio somehow...I just don't feel comfortable having the amp on all the time everytime the ignition is on...I know I can put a switch on that 'on/off' 12 vdc lead, but again that is something I'd rather avoid (having that as the primary on/off for the amp; as a secondary that's ok, as I explained above), if I can otherwise. However, if the speaker thing doesn't work right (for the watt/voltage, etc. requirement of the amp's on/off). looks like I'll have to go that route. What I like about the speaker thing is that the amp would ONLY be on when the other factory amp/stereo is on...

[Edit - Since I've already piggybacked the right front speaker + with an open buttsplice and I'm gonna run the multimeter there to see how it behaves...If it looks like it's either 0 or 12 vdc, then that'll work, although I'll still run a 'bypass' switch between that output...Just real curious about this whole thing (how that signal varies)...]

08Hemi 05-18-2010 01:14 PM

well since I used a PAC adapter I connected the remote turn-on lead from the adapter to the amp...have you thought about using the green (30) fuse under the dash? it is for the stereo amp...would that work?

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_fuses.htm

John_R 05-18-2010 01:22 PM

I would've preferred that adapter myself, so I didn't have to cut into my amp's harness, but Jeep budget sucks and is mostly non-existent :( I had this Punch 150 for years and finally fixed it (two capacitors inside were bad), as well as a LOC, sub passive crossover, sub and even a noise filter if need be (I have too much crap laying around :D )

I am assuming that 30 amp fuse serves the two yellow/red wires at the amp? If so, those are constant 12 vdc 'all the time' leads...

John_R 05-18-2010 07:57 PM

OK, update...you cannot use the speaker + as a signal on/off as it's only 6 vdc...So, without going on the radio side of things (which I don't want to at this point) looks like the only other choice for me is to use the accessory power for now, ugh :(