Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   bilsteins off road (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/bilsteins-off-road-9605.html)

dmsfun 05-19-2010 11:39 AM

bilsteins off road
 
How do the WK Bilsteins work off road combined with SRT sways ?

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-19-2010 12:06 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
i would not use srt sways if you plan on going off road. they are too tight and they make an uncomfortable ride.

dmsfun 05-19-2010 01:27 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
THis is for occasional off road, mostly on road; I have SRT sways, which are highly beneficial for on road, and will be replacing the struts / shocks soon.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-19-2010 02:04 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
they are terrible for off road, you feel every bump. the bilsteins lessen it a little bit, but the srt bars destroy the off road ride

LTrainGC 05-19-2010 02:12 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
I ran the bilstein's with the stock front sway and SRT rear sway and I loved the ride on and off road. I didn't mind feeling bumps while offroad because, well, I was offroad lol.

RedRocker 05-19-2010 02:18 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
If you're going to run the SRT front swaybar for any serious trails, I highly recommend Russ' front swaybar disconnect system when he releases it.

The SRT front swaybar will put a LOT of strain on the mounting pins on the trail - I broke pin on my last trip to Moab when I didn't disconnect my SRT front swaybar.

dmsfun 05-19-2010 02:20 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 210339)
they are terrible for off road, you feel every bump. the bilsteins lessen it a little bit, but the srt bars destroy the off road ride


OK, so is this from your own experience, ? i.e., do you have SRT bars and Bilsteins and have you driven off road ? thanks

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-19-2010 03:01 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 210347)
If you're going to run the SRT front swaybar for any serious trails, I highly recommend Russ' front swaybar disconnect system when he releases it.

The SRT front swaybar will put a LOT of strain on the mounting pins on the trail - I broke pin on my last trip to Moab when I didn't disconnect my SRT front swaybar.

i second that, you can certainly damage stuff with such a tight suspension on off road terrain.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-19-2010 03:03 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 210346)
I ran the bilstein's with the stock front sway and SRT rear sway and I loved the ride on and off road. I didn't mind feeling bumps while offroad because, well, I was offroad lol.

the rear sway bar is not much different from the stock bar. i put both on my packing scale before install and there was not much of a difference.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-19-2010 03:03 PM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 210351)
OK, so is this from your own experience, ? i.e., do you have SRT bars and Bilsteins and have you driven off road ? thanks

yes i have the sways, bwoody sway links, shocks and struts and yes i have numerous times. they are upgrades for on road travel and downgrades for offroad.

08pretaco 05-20-2010 01:37 AM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
i would use sway bars in general for offroading. taking it off provides with more flex from your suspension and personally a better ride. Yes I know taking off the sway bar blah blah blah but when cornering and high speed maneuvers have been encountered, not to much body lean and certainly nothing scary (thats coming from the girlfriend who drives the jeep).

dmsfun 05-20-2010 07:57 AM

Re: bilsteins off road
 
I will probably leave the SRT rear bar on, and remove all 4 Bwoody links and go back to stock, and remove the front SRT bar when doing the new shocks and struts. Too harsh off road as it is, and just wondering how much improvement Bilsteins will make off road with that setup.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community