Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   front popping sound/creak??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/front-popping-sound-creak-9660.html)

cain45 05-21-2010 06:15 AM

front popping sound/creak???

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi.

When I come to a stop to pull into my driveway I hear a pop or clunk sound from the front area of the truck. Any ideas on what this could be? I'm hoping it's not an expensive fix. Any help is appreciated and thank you.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-21-2010 08:26 AM

Re: front popping sound/creak???

is it when going over a bump or just coming to a stop?

is it from the wheel area as in ur brakes or upper from the suspension components ? please be a little more specific

BIG-O 05-21-2010 08:26 AM

I have the same problem and it gets worse over time. Could be your sway bar endlinks. Thats what Im tryin when I get a chance.

cain45 05-21-2010 08:30 AM

Never does it over bumps only when I come to a stop to pull into my driveway.

Don't think it's brakes as it's a clunk sound like something is being twisted or binding up.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-21-2010 08:44 AM

I'm sorry to say but it may be your transmission as it disengages the torque that was spinning in one direction is let loose and all of a sudden the car feels like it jerks to the other direction ?

try going about 60-70 on the highway, accelerate and let go of the gas ... does the car jerk opposite of the direction of torque being applied to the front axle ?

if yes to the question above then ur tcm is going down the drain which is a common problem with our jeeps that's how mine started i thought it was the sways but turned out to the bezel

but then again can be something completely different ...

cain45 05-21-2010 08:52 AM

No it's not the tranny as it isn't jerking. No offense meant here but jerking isn't the same as a clunking sound heard.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-21-2010 09:19 AM

I know jerking isn't the same as clunking but mine would do both it would make a clunk when stopping and on the highway would do the jerking ...

anyways good luck

cain45 05-21-2010 09:23 AM

Luckily mine isn't doing the jerking (fingers crossed) yet. Just a nice clunk when slowing down to turn in my drive....it's going to the dealer on Wednesday as it's still under warranty.

BIG-O 05-21-2010 10:31 AM

they wont be able to duplicate problem or wont find how to fix...been there dun dat.

cain45 05-21-2010 04:46 PM

Well that's the thing with the dealer I take it to. If they can't duplicate it without me then they ride along with me and I get it to duplicate the problem. I'll update everyone on the problem and the fix.:)

robpp 05-21-2010 04:50 PM

inspect the front diff mount bushings. its very easy to spot if you get the jeep on the lift and just let off then hit the brake. you wull see the whole diff move.

cain45 05-21-2010 04:57 PM

Thanks Rob that's what I'm thinking. It's either the differential bushings or end links. Either way they are checking it out and the rear brakes because they make a ticking noise when I brake under 20mph.