Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Subtle sounding exhaust options? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/subtle-sounding-exhaust-options-9665.html)

SRTILL8 05-21-2010 08:21 AM

Subtle sounding exhaust options?

question for yall exhaust'ers-

im going to do something with my exhaust in a short while and wondering which set up will get me the sound i particularly love.... the infinity (prob gonna get flamed for it but yup, i love that sound soo subtle and love the sound as it pulls away) dont get me wrong- i love borla esk' sounds too, im just leaning away from loud ass* exhaust on this jeep of mine. my XJ had one, my ZJ had one for a short while. this one, at least not right now.

heres a couple samples of what im looking to achieve somehow in the beast. surely im open to options. i just dont want to get too loud this time around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmc1V...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4oFv...eature=related

yea lmk.

flame on! hahah :slapfight::eek::D:rolleyes::thumbsup::sleepy:

Chuck 05-21-2010 08:25 AM

Re: Subtle sounding exhaust options?

I've been told the Corsa catback is like stock but really shows at WOT but it costs $$$. I'll be honest I don't know of any subtle options from the top of my head.

SRTILL8 05-21-2010 08:27 AM

cheers chuck! thanks for the input though bro

SRTILL8 05-21-2010 09:38 AM

so it seems a full cat back corsa is way to go for me. no drone at 90-95mph as well (is my coasting speed too)

well see.

cheers-

Mike_Levy 05-21-2010 01:20 PM

You can't get a ricer sound out of a big V8. The Hemi rumbles, thats just the way it is. If you wanted it to sound like a V6, you bought the wrong motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHGevylgGtE

SRTILL8 05-21-2010 01:29 PM

all love*** but i knew someone would chime in a rice* comment- in no way was i referring to a ricer exhaust though bro- did ya hear the clips i put up- if those are also claimed as rice than ok. but i highly doubt that. nothing sounds like wahhhhh wahhh in those clips- plus i just want a bit more pep in the sound but with out the constant drone. i drive more highway than anything. i also had borla and flowmasters and etc on all my previously owned jeeps. this one i just want a toned down rumble to crumble type of deal. im also full aware of my engine size and etc. i know this sound would be difficult to create with my beast but thats why i asked.

i understand ur point though bro- is why i asked what are some options to sort of achieve that sound im looking for. i wouldnt know.

cheers bro-

also just a disclaimer: im speakin of the infinity FX50- thats a 5.0 v8-(thats no where near rice*) if im not mistaken and not the X35's 303-hp V-6

John_R 05-21-2010 01:49 PM

The larger the casing, the quieter and more subdued. Tip placement is important too, as far as sticking out past bumper more, not pointed to gound (although we have distance) and of course muffler type....Stay away from the glasspacks (i.e. maganflow) and chambered (i.e. flowmaster) and look at a nice turbo muffler (i.e. dynomax/borla, etc.), if you don't want loud and obnoxious.

SRTILL8 05-21-2010 02:03 PM

thanks bro^^ more options like that is what im going for.
im going on vacation in a month and im trying to gather up as much info as possible before i drop off the beast to my mechanic. i appreciate the responses fellas.

cheers-

Mike_Levy 05-21-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TilaSRT8;
also just a disclaimer: im speakin of the infinity FX50- thats a 5.0 v8-(thats no where near rice*) if im not mistaken and not the X35's 303-hp V-6

I call it rice because of the smooth sound. The American sound is more rumbly and burbly. The Japanese and Italians just can't seem to get the rumble on any motor, no matter the size. The American motors though, get it every time. AMG pretty much has it nailed too.

05quadratrac 05-21-2010 05:48 PM

I have an 18in magnaflow and you cant hear it driving around the city unless I get on it then it sounds like a beast. I am sure if you went with the larger magnaflow it would be very quiet around town and only roar when you purposely got on it. It does have some drone so make sure you get a resonator if your model did not come with one from the factory.

Ironman7 05-22-2010 09:27 AM

I think a larger case Borla or Dynomax ultraflo is what is in order here. Try to find a performance muffler that is as close to the case size fo the OEM muffler and I think you will be happy so long as you stay away from chambered mufflers especially. the bigger the muffler the less noise you will have all around. The other thing I have done for customers in the past when I worked at a shop was to put two smaller muffler in line with each other. For instance 2 13inch magnaflows one in front of the other to reduce sound output but still give performance levels superior to stock. If you can't get a larger case muffler I suggest using two smaller mufflers...a muffler and a resonator if you will. I have had decent success using a smaller muffler and coupled with a small race bullet style muffler after it as a sort of high flow resonator.

Best of luck.

'Mike

Robert Palmer 05-22-2010 06:58 PM

Atilla, bro, you know you want the Borla. :D

But if you only want LOUD at WOT, then Corsa is the way to go my friend! :)