Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   60k Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/60k-service-9715.html)

blackpepper 05-23-2010 12:27 PM

60k Service

Front Diffs - Mopar Gear oil 75w-140 w/ friction modifier.
T-Case - Clean, no service done
Rear Diffs - Amsoil Gear oil 75w-140 w/ friction modifier.
Spark Plugs - Champion 570 copper plugs (16)
Air filter - AEM dryflow filter cleaned w/ AEM cleaning solution.
Oil Change - Mobil 1 5w-20 w/ K&N oil filter

Front diff was done by the dealer b/c I had a bad diff. bushing that needed replacement and they did the front diff fluid at the same time for the cost of parts alone (still got ripped off).

Rear diff, plugs and oil change was done at Dito's Motors for a total labor cost of $185, which is a tick over two hours time. I went with Amsoil fluids for the rear diff, had the inside cleaned out, and instantly all the chatter that I had been getting disappeared. VERY happy about that. The old spark plugs showed good wear and looked like they could have gone another 10k miles. I think I'm going to use iridium plugs next time.

I got home and did the air filter cleaning myself. I know, hella hard work.. I'm a champ.

Overall my mileage is back up, and the Jeep sounds and runs better. This thread is for reference and should not be used as fact, you are responsible for your own work.

LTrainGC 05-23-2010 12:29 PM

Re: 60k Service

I'd personally stick to the champion coppers. I'm pretty sure others have experiences bad idle/missing/stalling when using iridium/platinums in the 5.7

blackpepper 05-23-2010 12:33 PM

Word. That's why I did so this time.. I will do so again. I just 'heard' from the shop that iridium extends the life of the plugs v. copper and has no other effect.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-23-2010 01:26 PM

so you didnt get to experience the wonderful smell of gear oil? hahahaha

White Chocolate 05-23-2010 01:29 PM

Ill have to try this, I'm only getting 11.5mpg city and 15.1mpg on highway with the 5.7. It used to be better I swear

blackpepper 05-23-2010 01:29 PM

Yeah I'm back up to over 20 mpg on the hwy.. for a while it was bad and I could barley break 18...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 212128)
so you didnt get to experience the wonderful smell of gear oil? hahahaha

No I didn't.. :lol: too bad, huh?

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-23-2010 02:09 PM

oh man that sh1t smells bad LOL

LTrainGC 05-23-2010 02:42 PM

Yeahhhh gear oil isn't the best smelling stuff lol.

I probably would have changed the t-case oil too just to know it'd done and it won't need to be done for another 60K miles. It's really easy too, and the fluid is only like $12/quart at the dealer... $24 for that kind of piece of mind is worth it to me.

chefalan23 05-23-2010 02:42 PM

i've been getting 16.2 on the highway with the mds off. i know i need a new air filter, and im about to hit 60k so maybe i need plugs too, idk. next time i get my oil changed ill get my rear diff and plugs done.

maxst2 05-23-2010 02:44 PM

I get to do the diffs,tranny, and tcase just yet.

Done the plugs-hella worn and installed intake.

My lil 4.7 runs alot better... that and the superchips tune made it run loads better.

blackpepper 05-24-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 212150)
I probably would have changed the t-case oil too just to know it'd done and it won't need to be done for another 60K miles. It's really easy too, and the fluid is only like $12/quart at the dealer... $24 for that kind of piece of mind is worth it to me.

Yeah I'll do it myself I looked up how to do it and it looks simple enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefalan23 (Post 212151)
i've been getting 16.2 on the highway with the mds off. i know i need a new air filter, and im about to hit 60k so maybe i need plugs too, idk. next time i get my oil changed ill get my rear diff and plugs done.

I can't stand the MDS on with my CMR tune.. at lower speed you can feel it lug on and off every time.. no matter how hard I try I can't get close to 19 mpg with the MDS off.

About the service you need.. just look at your manual or go to http://wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm and see what you have done lately and how long ago it was. Keep your records to track shyt like that .. 60k is usually a big service interval on all cars... how many miles do you currently have on your ride?

lewi3069 05-24-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniomario (Post 212142)
oh man that sh1t smells bad LOL

Hell yea it does! I just did both of my diffs this last weekend!