Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Mexico dirt and sand

638 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Governor 
#1 ·
Hello, I am currently in Baja on a surf trip in my 2014 G Cherokee. While I knew the final 150 miles would be difficult, I did not throughly investigate the various settlings for the nasty stretches and was not comfortable. I used the sand setting in the difficult parts, and is was great. Power to all four, although it drifted a bit at higher speeds. Halfway through the trip we came on a local buried up to axils in an old Ford Ranger. I wanted to use my 4x4 low to pull him out but just pushing the button did not do it. So we gave him a ride to the next town.

Since arriving at our destination I have been pouring over the manual trying to become more capible. A couple of questions for the group:

Should I use Sport mode while in the sand and steep stream crossings?

If I try getting the car into 4x4 low, the manual really does not specify how to get it out. I doubt if any of the Mexican mechanics out here know anything about it.

Is 4x4 low the best setting for deeper sand and steeper crossings?

Thanks for any help here. I can see how this would be fun once knowing all the tools.

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't mention which drive train. QD you push the button for 4wd low and push again to get out of it.

Definitely don't use sport mode in either instance.
It tightens up the shifts, which can get you buried in sand.
It also lowers the suspension just a bit which could mean the difference between being dry and taking an impromptu bath.

No, 4x4 Low is not good for sand. Possibly for crossings.
Low range is for climbing as well as the ability to drive really slow in touchy terrain or slowing in downhill.

4x4 is for traction.

If you have the air suspension, off-road 1 tends to be a pretty good setting around water, larger rocks, etc. It raises the vehicle a bit, but isn't as noisy or annoying as off-road 2.

If you are the original owner, head to jeeps.com for owners and get a hard copy of the Owners Manual. If you bought it used, download the electronic version.

One thing to avoid since you appear to be a bit new to the GC, don't try to show off unless you have a rescue ride home. It is quite capable, but it can also turn you into a hiker if you aren't familiar with how to use it.

Post your location, maybe someone in your area that has been running GCs for a while can give you some pointers.

#3 ·
Thanks for taking time to reply. I am original owner. Have the manual. It gives a fairly complex for getting the transmission into Nuetral, and then doing 4x4 low. Question is how to get back. Yes, rookie on this. Not trying to show off, just get us place to place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.