Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   can you guys help me (again) with a brake problem.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/can-you-guys-help-me-again-with-a-brake-problem-9773.html)

kycoolcat 05-25-2010 04:04 PM

can you guys help me (again) with a brake problem..

5 Attachment(s)
hey guys, i thought my brake pads were wore out again after just a few months. I had bought the cheapest ones at autozone so i just thought that was the problem. So i bought some ceramics and was going to change them today. When i took the wheels off i seen the brake pads were fine. The bushings that the pins go in did not look good though. Now guys i'm absolutely a newb at this stuff so tell me. Should those little rubber boots be connected to the slide pins or should the pins slide out. I'll post a couple pics of the boots. They were all dry not connected at all to the pins. Well one on the drivers side was connected. The pics are both pass. side. They were the worst. I think the guy that did them last time , which was just 4k miles ago, didn't lube them at all. Wouldn't you guys say? So i lubed the bushings and pins and pistons all real good with brake caliper grease and put it all back together and came staight to the computer to ask my fellow jeep dudes what the f__k is up? Do i need new calipers or what?

Mike_Levy 05-25-2010 04:14 PM

Re: can you guys help me (again) with a brake problem..

Its very possible for the pads to wear out in a few months. I put in Hawk Ceramics in December. They now need to be replaced again, in the rear(!). 6 months, 6k miles, and the under used rear pads wore out. Crazy shit!

kycoolcat 05-25-2010 04:20 PM

I feel ya bro. I didn't even look at the rears today. Probably check those out sunday. I just hope nothings wrong with the fronts..

sillysickness22 05-25-2010 05:23 PM

the boots that have pics are dust boots for the caliper slide pins. yes u should replace them cause they keep the dirt out of the slide pin. if you were able to grease them all up then the there good. due to the fact that there were unlubricated from previous work may have cause the caliper to stay slightly compressed against the pads thus causing faster wear, but u will not need new calipers. when u apply the brakes the caliper compresses against the pads witch then compress against the rotor. the caliper slide pins are for the very small movement so the caliper can slide back and forth.

hope this helps bro

kycoolcat 05-25-2010 06:06 PM

yeah bro. that helps. just tell me this are those pins supposed to slide out or should they be connected to those boots.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-26-2010 12:20 AM

they should be connected, but they can be slightly out of the boots from movement and they are still fine. you are most likely getting the noise from something on the pads. put some brake cleaner on them because the face of them look rusted to me. also lightly sand your rotors with fine sand paper to clean the surface.

06HemiLtd 05-26-2010 06:53 AM

those rubber boots should be connected to the caliper. they are mounted directly to the caliper. you don't want them to come off. the caliper bolts just slide through them to the mounting points. check out matt's thread...
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/how-to-change-front-brake-pads-wk-5639.html

kycoolcat 05-27-2010 08:18 PM

Thanks all u guys for your help.............