Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   3.7L V6 MPG Mileage Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/3-7l-v6-mpg-mileage-question-9789.html)

RossC 05-26-2010 03:45 AM

3.7L V6 MPG Mileage Question

A lad I know has the 2006 Cherokee over here in the UK (I believe it is badged as the Liberty in the US) and I'm really confused by his horrible gas mileage.

It is the same 3.7 V6 as used in the WK's and he is only averaging 11.2 US MPG (13.5 UK MPG) :eek:

To me, that sounds very strange. Granted, I have a CRD so my mileage is a lot better, but I used to own a 4.7 WJ and it never ever approached being as bad as that.

Is this normal for the 3.7? I can't see why Jeep changed the old 4.0 to the 3.7 for a much less efficient engine.

I should also add, his Jeep is totally standard/stock. No lift, big tyres or anything.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Fireman310pt 05-26-2010 03:56 AM

Re: 3.7L V6 MPG Mileage Question

That's extremely low mileage in my view. I average 16-18 MPG in my '09 WK depending on how I drive. My worst has been 14.3 but that was very hard driving here in the hills of east Tennessee. Does he do a lot of in town stop and go driving or sitting and idling?

StoneCold 05-26-2010 04:47 AM

^^^x2 does sound really strange. My 4.7 rarely drops below 18mpg and about half my daily journey is through town, so lots of stop/ start etc.

misfit77 05-26-2010 09:04 PM

If I baby it and do more cruising than accelerating I can get 16mpg.
If its city stop and go stuff, I can get as low as 13.

Highway I get anywhere bewteen 19 and 24.

This crappy 3.7 is too erratic in mpg and way too slow.

maxst2 05-27-2010 12:56 AM

I have seen that spark plugs worn will really kill the mpg.

SolarWar 05-27-2010 04:12 AM

ive only had my '06 3.7WK for 3 weeks, and pretty much 90% city driving, i am getting 11.2mpg, the most ive seen thus far has been 12.6mpg and thats just getting onto the highway for about 13miles to drive into manhattan, i didnt expect great city mpg out of this car, im planning a trip to Atlantic City next month i suppose that will show me what kinda mpg i can get ouf of a semi long distance trip.

Devilsmed98 05-27-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWar (Post 213854)
ive only had my '06 3.7WK for 3 weeks, and pretty much 90% city driving, i am getting 11.2mpg, the most ive seen thus far has been 12.6mpg and thats just getting onto the highway for about 13miles to drive into manhattan, i didnt expect great city mpg out of this car, im planning a trip to Atlantic City next month i suppose that will show me what kinda mpg i can get ouf of a semi long distance trip.

I'm getting around 13.8-14.5mpg with my 07' 4.7L with all city driving, stopping and going at speeds anywhere from 25-45mph with the truck reaching normal operating temperatures for about 5 minutes. I definitely think you should look into what kind of maintenance the truck has had done and do some looking around to see if any sensors, plugs, check the spark plugs, maybe clean the intake, perhaps sea foam it too.

B.P.O.D 05-27-2010 10:11 AM

11mpg is normal if you're only doing city driving and a lot of stop and go driving. gas mileage sucks on the 3.7 if you're only doing city driving.

05quadratrac 05-27-2010 04:00 PM

thats my MPG range also im high 10's and 11's granted I have a 4.7 but its still horrible. I do mostly all city driving, it was much worse than that a few months ago I was in the 8's and 9's but im back in the 11's after changing my plugs and oil. Even when I baby it I am lucky to get into the 12's and rarely 13's. My only mod's are a CAI and a muffler which I thought would help my MPG. I'm taking it on a 100 mile highway trip this weekend so I will see how it goes.

SolarWar 05-28-2010 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsmed98 (Post 213920)
I'm getting around 13.8-14.5mpg with my 07' 4.7L with all city driving, stopping and going at speeds anywhere from 25-45mph with the truck reaching normal operating temperatures for about 5 minutes. I definitely think you should look into what kind of maintenance the truck has had done and do some looking around to see if any sensors, plugs, check the spark plugs, maybe clean the intake, perhaps sea foam it too.

ive been thinking about doing a full tune up, not so much that i will give me a huge increase in mpg, but atleast i will know the truck has had a full tune up and that the shitty mpg is just the way it is and not due to poor maintenance.

Quote:

11mpg is normal if you're only doing city driving and a lot of stop and go driving. gas mileage sucks on the 3.7 if you're only doing city driving.
if i woulda came to this board before i bought my truck and knew this i woulda bought the hemi :D

Quote:

thats my MPG range also im high 10's and 11's granted I have a 4.7 but its still horrible. I do mostly all city driving, it was much worse than that a few months ago I was in the 8's and 9's but im back in the 11's after changing my plugs and oil. Even when I baby it I am lucky to get into the 12's and rarely 13's. My only mod's are a CAI and a muffler which I thought would help my MPG. I'm taking it on a 100 mile highway trip this weekend so I will see how it goes.
i was thinking about doing the exhaust and throwing a cai on mine as well, hoping that it would sound better and maybe get a few more tenths of a mile out of my mpg.

I hope you dont mind the hijack RossC.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 05-28-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit77 (Post 213750)
If I baby it and do more cruising than accelerating I can get 16mpg.
If its city stop and go stuff, I can get as low as 13.

Highway I get anywhere bewteen 19 and 24.

This crappy 3.7 is too erratic in mpg and way too slow.

I really hate the gas mileage on the 3.7 I wish I would have bought the 5.7 if I had known that the game mileage was going to shitty !!!

08pretaco 05-28-2010 09:22 PM

ya the gf complains all the time about her 3.7 and her moms 4.7 getting the same mileage. i feel bad because she gets no power from her 3.7 unlike the response her moms 4.7 gets. your guys drivetrain really sucks up a lot of the engine power that should be transferred to the wheels.

brings me to a question: why so much drivetrain loss? i realize its one of the most advanced all wheel drive systems but damn!