Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   What's your diagnosis? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/whats-your-diagnosis-9800.html)

White WK Swagga 05-26-2010 01:58 PM

What's your diagnosis?

I was driving on the HWY and I was doing about 55 and I dropped it into 3rd gear to pass when I seen the engine check light flashing. I immediately let off the throttle and put it back into auto. The jeep drives like normal now just the exhaust is a little loud like something funky is going on with the exhaust. My friend had a cat go bad on his Frontier and is sounds similar to that just not as loud. at idle it sounds fine just when I go to take off it sounds like a crappy exhaust system. I checked to see if there were any codes stored and none came up. .

1. What to you think it is?

2. And if it's the exhaust is that covered under the "Bumper to Bumper' warranty?

Scottina06 05-26-2010 02:01 PM

Re: What's your diagnosis?

I guess you couldve blew the cat and blew the honeycomb(whatver its called) out of it. That would be coverd unless there is any visual damaage to it.

White WK Swagga 05-26-2010 02:06 PM

Thanks Scott. I'll take a look.

ekaz 05-26-2010 02:51 PM

The flashing check engine light under load sounds like a misfire condition, but the other have sounds like a partially blown out cat. The cat is covered under warranty, I think its longer than the normal 3/36 by federal law.

dcjeepgc 05-26-2010 02:54 PM

Generally, if it is a cracked component of the exhaust system (exhaust manifold, lose doughnut connector, CAT etc) the problem should be louder and more pronounced while the engine is cold and be less noticeable while it heats up and the metal expands. Just a thought.

White WK Swagga 05-26-2010 03:03 PM

I noticed it when the engine was cold and when it was running. Well it's like 90 degrees here today too. LOL I'll take a look at the exhaust later. There's def something funky going on in the exhaust. But I don't know why a light hasn't gone on yet?

SRTILL8 05-26-2010 03:38 PM

cant always depend on he light ups to inform you of something wrong bro. i know ur not a mechanic but if something is obviously wrong, get it fixed before something else goes along those lines.:confused:

btw: i love not having to use autostick to pass people on highways, i just lightly tap the gas and im out.:D:thumbsup:

gl yo-

cheers-

White WK Swagga 05-26-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TilaSRT8 (Post 213637)
cant always depend on he light ups to inform you of something wrong bro. i know ur not a mechanic but if something is obviously wrong, get it fixed before something else goes along those lines.:confused:

btw: i love not having to use autostick to pass people on highways, i just lightly tap the gas and im out.:D:thumbsup:

gl yo-

cheers-

Hopefully in 2012 I'll be able to say the same thing!!!

08Hemi 05-26-2010 06:21 PM

yeah IDK whats going on nate...I had a header-leak on my old dodge and it threw a cel, then would go away, then come back...can you hear anything different at idle? or is it only when driving/shifting? any notice is power loss/responsiveness?

ducks unlimited 05-26-2010 07:10 PM

it should be covered

robpp 05-26-2010 07:19 PM

take her in

hello AJ>>>>>>>>>>>

'yeah man its making this noise. btw, can yu tune a 3.7?........"

White WK Swagga 05-26-2010 10:05 PM

I'd go to westbury jeep. I've never spoke to AJ. Does anyone have his #?