Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) .. let's discuss (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/electronic-throttle-control-etc-lets-discuss-9838.html)

blackpepper 05-28-2010 11:16 AM

Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) .. let's discuss

Let's see where this thread goes but people w/ ETC know that it can be a pain in the rear sometimes since it's computer controlled.

I've come up with some ways of "manipulating" it's settings for better throttle response and better driving conditions.

If you have you're foot completely off the gas then punch it, nothing will happen for two seconds .. kinda dangerous if you're trying to pull into traffic or make an emergency lane change.. I've found that even the lightest pressure on the pedal tells the computer to respond faster... like if you're maintaing your speed and punch it, the Jeep will react faster than not already having your foot on the pedal.

And downshifting.. try downshifting without touching the brakes. Each gear clucks into the next but if you have light pressure on the brake pedal, the computer reacts differently and makes for much smoother downshifts. Safter IMO and more controllable.

This is me thinking out loud, so talk it over.. have you tried these methods? Are there any other ways to make ETC easier to deal with? Discuss and we'll see where this goes...

/rant

White WK Swagga 05-28-2010 11:20 AM

Re: Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) .. let's discuss

Do you reset your throttle at all? I do mine like every other day. LOL

blackpepper 05-28-2010 11:24 AM

I've always seen that as an old wives tale.. I must have read three or four methods of doing that and they all seem to work. But again I don't know for sure, but I do want to talk about all the options b/c this ETC can annoying as hell sometimes.

One that I've heard is that you need to reset it in the morning, right, when the engine is cold?

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-28-2010 11:38 AM

i have noticed the same things ryan. i hate the delay on the pedal.

blackpepper 05-28-2010 11:45 AM

Yeah it gets old sometimes.. how about this.. is there an official reset procedure that everyone goes by (referring back to what Nate was talking about)? What works and what doesn't? B/c like I've said, I've read many different methods.

White WK Swagga 05-28-2010 11:52 AM

I hate the dead spots. When you just want to go a little faster and step on it a little and you get nothing and you have to punch it to move anywhere. LOL

White WK Swagga 05-28-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpepper (Post 214443)
Yeah it gets old sometimes.. how about this.. is there an official reset procedure that everyone goes by (referring back to what Nate was talking about)? What works and what doesn't? B/c like I've said, I've read many different methods.

When I get in the jeep i turn the key till the lights come on and wait till the chime stops and step on the throttle all the way down and let go then turn the key off pausing at each position. I do that about 3 times to make sure it goes thru right. LOL

blackpepper 05-28-2010 12:01 PM

Do you depress it slowly, b/c one of the methods I've read is to depress it and release the pedal as slow as possible... LOL

Chaoul1 05-28-2010 12:03 PM

A lot of dead spots. I should try that Nate. After turning to the off position on the ignition should I let go of the pedal and continue 2 more times?

08Hemi 05-28-2010 12:10 PM

come on Nate...can you give us a step-by-step? None of this crackhead-one-sentence-lingo :)

I have a spot in acceleration, esp when going up a hill, that if I ever-so gently apply the gas the Jeep SURGES forward, then backs off a little...anyone else have this problem?

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-28-2010 12:12 PM

once i had my jeep flashed for the hesitation in 3rd gear it has much more throttle response but its still slow from a start half the time.

1 GRAND 05-28-2010 12:59 PM

I solved the problem by adding a tuner.