Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Teves calipers to Akebono calipers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/teves-calipers-to-akebono-calipers-9860.html)

00wj 05-29-2010 03:40 PM

Teves calipers to Akebono calipers

Has anyone changed from Teves calipers to Akebono calipers? I want to change mind but other than buying diferent calipers is there any modification i have to make?

mon_21 05-29-2010 06:14 PM

Re: Teves calipers to Akebono calipers

Make sure you get the Caliper BRACKETS.....

ilirdino 05-29-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mon_21 (Post 214818)
Make sure you get the Caliper BRACKETS.....

Elaborate?

vicpick58 05-29-2010 07:51 PM

I did the upgrade to Akebono calipers on my 2000 Laredo.

You have to change the caliper brackets too, not just the calipers. Get the Moper upgrade kit and the brackets come with it. The rotors are the same, so just buy whatever is your favorite aftermarket rotor.

I don't remember where I got mine, it was years ago and I don't even have that Jeep anymore.

I think Justforjeeps.com has a kit, but it is kind of expensive, maybe try Kolak or one of the online Mopar parts dealers.

ilirdino 05-29-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicpick58 (Post 214841)
I did the upgrade to Akebono calipers on my 2000 Laredo.

You have to change the caliper brackets too, not just the calipers. Get the Moper upgrade kit and the brackets come with it. The rotors are the same, so just buy whatever is your favorite aftermarket rotor.

I don't remember where I got mine, it was years ago and I don't even have that Jeep anymore.

I think Justforjeeps.com has a kit, but it is kind of expensive, maybe try Kolak or one of the online Mopar parts dealers.

Would I HAVE to update my rotors if they're not warped?

vicpick58 05-29-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilirdino (Post 214845)
Would I HAVE to update my rotors if they're not warped?

Actually after thinking about it, I may have been mistaken about the brackets, I think the Ackebono calipers bolt up to where the Teves brackets bolt on to the spindle.

You have to remove the Teves brackets and the Ackebono calipers bolt right up. But you have to get the upgrade kit to get the correct bolts.

Rotors are the same, so you could just get yours resurfaced if they are not warped yet.

vicpick58 05-29-2010 08:13 PM

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_0500302b.pdf

Here is the TSB with instructions and part numbers.

Martyp 05-30-2010 11:18 AM

Just got the upgrade fitted myself and they went on with no problems.

I got the factory upgrade kit which came with new pads but got the Mopar rotors too since they were to cheap to resist from the supplier.

Also got new callipers on the back, so hopefully my brake woes will be behind me.

00wj 05-30-2010 11:47 AM

thanks guys so let me get this straight all i need is the calipers and the bolts?
Does anyone where i could get it a bit cheaper?
The rotors are the same but i would have to change the pads right?

Martyp 05-30-2010 12:34 PM

Hector, I'd say get the kit from JFJ. You'll not better that price - unless you buy used, which could be a gamble.

The kit from JFJ will come with the new pads and bolts so you'll be all set. If your existing rotors are good then you won't need anything else.

2000 Grand 05-30-2010 02:17 PM

Don't we have a discount code for jfj too?

00wj 05-30-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyp (Post 214988)
Hector, I'd say get the kit from JFJ. You'll not better that price - unless you buy used, which could be a gamble.

The kit from JFJ will come with the new pads and bolts so you'll be all set. If your existing rotors are good then you won't need anything else.

Is it me or is there not one for the rear?

and yes there's a discount code