Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   high mount third brake light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/high-mount-third-brake-light-9876.html)

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-30-2010 12:04 PM

high mount third brake light

has anyone else had problems with their high center mounted third brake like on their wk? this is the third time i have had to take mine apart because the harness keeps coming loose and the light goes out randomly. it will only work every few times i brake. i tighten the harness and then it works fine for a few months and then it goes out again.

Chaoul1 05-30-2010 02:45 PM

Re: high mount third brake light

I just replaced mine. But mine was the Actual Light assembly. The old one kept Dimming as I pressed on the Brakes. I just replaced it from j4j.

jeepgcoman 05-30-2010 03:00 PM

Hey, Swede (from another Swede), I had the same problem with mine. I kept thinking it was the harness too. Finally, I decided to spring for a new light (about $35) and that solved the problem. I also installed the intelligent brake light flasher on it at the same time: http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm. Great to have to keep the guy behind you awake. I've got them on all my newer rides.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-31-2010 12:48 AM

i took mine to a mechanic last year and he stated that he tightened the harness and it worked for a year. you think buying a new one would solve my problem? i am pretty sure the blinking brake light is illegal though

Scottina06 05-31-2010 02:00 AM

Im got an extra one if ya wanna try it. I think its an 08 one with the red spray nozzle...not sure though

jeepgcoman 05-31-2010 06:31 PM

Don't know, maybe different states have different laws on this. I got the 4 flash unit. It actually flashes 5 or 6 times though and then goes on solid. I've had one on my other vehicle for almost 6 years with no problems, and no contacts with Johnny Law.

For the price, I think I'd give a new one a try. I fought mine for about 6 months and swore it was the wiring. I think there is something in the solid state circuitry in the light that causes it to be intermittant. All I know is after I changed it the problem went away. After replacing it I used to check it daily, and I still check it about once a week.....push the brake pedal in the garage before opening the door.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-31-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 215379)
For the price, I think I'd give a new one a try. I fought mine for about 6 months and swore it was the wiring. I think there is something in the solid state circuitry in the light that causes it to be intermittant. All I know is after I changed it the problem went away. After replacing it I used to check it daily, and I still check it about once a week.....push the brake pedal in the garage before opening the door.

haha thats how i check all my lights everyday. i bought scotts extra light and i really hope it fixes the problem. it has gone almost a year with out going out so i thought i was in the clean after the mechanic "tightened the harness"

OBXJeep 05-31-2010 09:44 PM

score on this thread! I've been having the same issue just kept forgetting to ask if anyone knew what was up. I know what I'm doing on Thursday when I'm off :)

CatMan879 01-10-2013 06:24 PM

So my Girlfriend just informed me that my third brake light hasnt been working for a few months now.... yea shes just telling me this now so I had her sit in the jepp and press the brake while I looked at it and I hit it and it started working then today I checked it again and it stopped working so would buying a new one work or do you guys think its a wiring issue????

antsjeep 01-13-2013 10:40 AM

It can really only be one of two things:

- wire harness is not clipped on all the way. You need to hear a click when attaching it. Check the inside of the plug and make sure both pins look straight and nothing is shorting out (metal on metal).

- The actual light needs to be replaced. They are super cheap, just hunt around online or go to your local stealership and pick one up.
Part# 55157397AD (all red housing including the washer nozzle)

Gamma505 02-11-2013 10:53 AM

Had the "loose" electrical connector problem on my 05 JGC 3rd brake light....started about 2 years ago. Secured the plug in a bit snugger with wood toothpick shims, confirmed light went on before remounting, put a couple drops of SuperGlue on the wood shims...still working thus far. New lights on eBay for about $30.00 if you want to go that route.

2005JGC 02-12-2013 12:23 AM

its probably a loose pin at the circuit board... properly repaired with a replacement assembly. I have never seen an inop 3rd brake lamp that wasnt repaired with a new assembly.