Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   exhaust manifold leak??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/exhaust-manifold-leak-9879.html)

ernieburn9 05-30-2010 04:09 PM

exhaust manifold leak???

hi guys,
I decided to start a new thread about this. my power steering pump blew it's seals couple months ago. It was under warranty then. I noticed my MPG and HP really dropped at that same time but figured it just needed a tune up. I gave it a complete tune up myself (thanks to Jeep garage!!!). it didnt now all I get is 11.2 mpg if i am driving like a granny. I used to get 16. So i took it to a local mechanic told me he would charge 300.00 for labor to install new exhaust gaskets but i would Need to buy them elsewhere. Would it be better to buy the American Racing headers and try to install myself? I know there like 1100.00 but would save a extra 700.00 to really open it up!!! I learned a lot from this forum and I think I seen a thread where Hemibeast installed his. I have tools just not the knowledge. I have installed a 350 engine myself into my Monte Carlo SS (but that is another forum ). I haven't seen a thread here where it breaks down the process to get to the manifolds. Would I have to pull the engine out a little or can I get it thru the wheel well.

ernieburn9 06-02-2010 08:26 PM

Re: exhaust manifold leak???

wow 70 views and no replys???? Am I asking the right questions? could i get help may be a link to a thread " how to remove driver side exhaust mani on a 5.7" i seen one for the 4.7 is it the same process?
-
please help!

Scottina06 06-02-2010 08:29 PM

hmmm.....dont know why any of the 5.7 guys havent replied???

But....hemibeast had his headers installed by a pro shop and they had many problems from what I remember.

yousmellfunnytoo 06-03-2010 10:30 AM

THe American racing headers are basically the srt jeep's but with 5.7 flanges

My understanding is that you have to either mod the mid pipe, or do some pounding on the trans pan to get the headers in.

Honestly, I would try something along the lines of getting the 6.1L exhaust manifold, or buying a set of JBA shorty headers for the LX body.

I plan on trying that down the road to see what can be done. THere NEEDS to be better options for headers for the 5.7 guys

5.7Unlimited 06-03-2010 06:46 PM

how do you know it's the exhaust causing the bad MPG does it make noise or something? Mine sounds like the ****ing steam engine but my dealer says it's normal, I gave up on mine, what is yours doing?

Walt 06-03-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieburn9 (Post 216305)
wow 70 views and no replys???? Am I asking the right questions? could i get help may be a link to a thread " how to remove driver side exhaust mani on a 5.7" i seen one for the 4.7 is it the same process?
-
please help!

I had an exhaust header leak on the driver's side of my '08 5.7L HEMI, where the header bolts to the block. It was imperceptible, except by stethoscope.

I researched this procedure, because dealer wanted to charge me to fix it. Mitchell's Auto Repair Manual has a complete procedure for it in the Chrysler Volume. (It was in my local library.) I found that the steering has to be partially disassembled and some other things in the way on the driver's side. Quite an ordeal.

Finally, Chrysler & the dealer agreed to do it, but charged me a $25 deductible fee. I let them do it. Mechanic ended up breaking the steering wheel clockspring in the process.

BTW: I had some minor indications of issues (reduced mpg, MDS malfunction, O2 sensor code, etc) but nothing as drastic as yours. Most remained after the repair so that was not the root cause, except O2 sensor slow to respond (P0133) and that came back several months later, then disappeared.

Can't address header issues as I have no experience there. Good luck.

ernieburn9 06-05-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousmellfunnytoo (Post 216568)
THe American racing headers are basically the srt jeep's but with 5.7 flanges

My understanding is that you have to either mod the mid pipe, or do some pounding on the trans pan to get the headers in.

Honestly, I would try something along the lines of getting the 6.1L exhaust manifold, or buying a set of JBA shorty headers for the LX body.

I plan on trying that down the road to see what can be done. THere NEEDS to be better options for headers for the 5.7 guys

don't the 6.1 exhaust mani have a different flange? will it still work?

where would i buy the JBA shorty headers from? have you seen any jeeps with them?

thanks for the reply!

ernieburn9 06-05-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7Unlimited (Post 216754)
how do you know it's the exhaust causing the bad MPG does it make noise or something? Mine sounds like the ****ing steam engine but my dealer says it's normal, I gave up on mine, what is yours doing?

yea it sounds like a hissing/ticking at the same time.

thanks for a reply!

ernieburn9 06-05-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt (Post 216768)
I had an exhaust header leak on the driver's side of my '08 5.7L HEMI, where the header bolts to the block. It was imperceptible, except by stethoscope.

I researched this procedure, because dealer wanted to charge me to fix it. Mitchell's Auto Repair Manual has a complete procedure for it in the Chrysler Volume. (It was in my local library.) I found that the steering has to be partially disassembled and some other things in the way on the driver's side. Quite an ordeal.

Finally, Chrysler & the dealer agreed to do it, but charged me a $25 deductible fee. I let them do it. Mechanic ended up breaking the steering wheel clockspring in the process.

BTW: I had some minor indications of issues (reduced mpg, MDS malfunction, O2 sensor code, etc) but nothing as drastic as yours. Most remained after the repair so that was not the root cause, except O2 sensor slow to respond (P0133) and that came back several months later, then disappeared.

Can't address header issues as I have no experience there. Good luck.

thanks! I will buy a mitchell book today!

Walt 06-05-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieburn9 (Post 217421)
thanks! I will buy a mitchell book today!

These are pretty big! Sorta like a thick Chilton's multi-car set. About 4 volumes intended for professional mechanic shops. I'm guessing they are pretty pricey.

The procedure for what you want runs about 3-4 pages (tops), so you should be able to xerox it.

ernieburn9 06-05-2010 12:29 PM

Will these work?

would i need any thing else with these, O2 sensor extenders ect,

they are only $435.00 a lot cheaper than AR headers.

http://wretchedms.com/LX-/-LY-Bodies...cf0fc5e7c9d770