Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   rear wheel bearing replacment?? help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/rear-wheel-bearing-replacment-help-9893.html)

josef15111 05-31-2010 10:09 AM

rear wheel bearing replacment?? help

hey guys i just recently started to hear a clunck from my passenger rear wheel. so i looked at my wheel and noticed the it looks like i have been riding on the outter lip of the tire? i shake the wheel and it moves like a bad bearing. so i need to replace them can anyone tell me what i need. ive done bearing in the past no biggie. I was just on the advanceautoparts site and there where a few things listed like outer collars and bearings what should i get>?>?>????

thanks for the help

Joe

fixer5000 05-31-2010 11:09 AM

Re: rear wheel bearing replacment?? help

i think you have d44 rear axle correct? ok what you gotta do is get the bearing and cone, the seal and the bearing retainer. to remove the shaft take off the wheel and the caliper. now there are 4 nuts on the inside back of that assy. remove those. you may need a slide hammer puller and adaptor to pull the axle from the unit. sometimes a solid whack with a good dead blow hammer will do. i borrowed the puller and adaptor from az. now comes the fun part. youll need to cut off the old bearing and retainer ring. or take it to a place that can pull it off and press on the new stuff you have to put on there. grease up the bearing and seal well before installing and remove the abs sensor or you risk breaking it. slide your completed assy back in and give a tap or two to seat. install the 4 nuts back one and put your caliper, rotor and wheel back on. youre done!! one pointer and very important. make sure the smaller side of the bearing or cone end faces the inside before pressing it onto the shaft. this is a great writeup about this at www.jeepslimited.com with pictures...good luck...i just did one on my d35 3 weeks ago but i just bought a new shaft so i could take one out and put the new one right in right away. ill rebuild the old one when i have time. too bad the shafts are different from side to side

josef15111 05-31-2010 08:51 PM

wow thanks for the help man i will be doing this any day now. im not really looking forward to this lol.

fixer5000 06-01-2010 04:07 AM

i wasnt either but it only took about 2 hours start to finish. not as bad as you think really. jack up the side you wanna do and no oil will come out of the axle tube. do not jack on the axle tubes or the pumpkin on that differential. body jack points work well.

josef15111 06-01-2010 01:06 PM

ok thanks i am looking on advance auto .com right now i will be picking up the parts when wife gets home, i will take some pics along the way just ta show how lovely it is lol. i know my dif is leaking from the input inside how hard is it to rebuild the dana 44 anyone know?? or atleast the leasking part its just a seal right? can it be fixed while on the truck?? thanks again

joe

doublejz 06-01-2010 03:37 PM

yea, make sure you put a new seal in too. Also, when taking off the old bearing, it helps to cut almost threw the race with a dremel or cutoff saw then place a chisel in the cut and smack it with a hammer. That way you won't cut the shaft and typically the race will break open the rest of the way.

If the diff is just leaking from the axle seal, which it probably is.. you don't have to rebuild the diff. Just put a new seal in when you have the axle out, you should do it anyway. You'll need to invest or borrow some tools if you plan on rebuilding it. Also, yes it can be fix in the truck. If you take it some where to get rebuilt they usually charge a decent amount less out of the vehicle.

josef15111 06-01-2010 08:28 PM

no my leak isnt in the wheel it is at the input shaft. where the drive shaft goes into the diff it leaks right there. how do you change out that seal??

doublejz 06-02-2010 08:37 AM

you're talking about the pinion seal then. There are two approaches people take without rebuilding the diff, both obviously requires you to pull the rear driveshaft.

A. You can mark the nut and pinion so you can see how far the nut was on and the position of the nut. Pull the pinion, replace the seal, put the old nut back on but about 1/10th of an inch past the line you made.

You can also count how many turns it takes for the nut to leave the original position, then put it back on the same + 1/10th of an inch past the line you made.

B. If you have access to a torq wrench that reads around 300lbs. (the pinion nut can be anywhere between 150-250lbs) Adjust the torq wrench increasing the lbs and trying to remove the nut. Once you found how many lbs. it took to break the nut loose, increase the wrench by 5 lbs, pull the pinion, replace seal, reinstall the nut.