Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Stacked window tint?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/stacked-window-tint-9894.html)

CherokeeOnToyos 05-31-2010 10:20 AM

Stacked window tint??

Ok so I'm running 5% tint on all the windows (execpt the windshield ofcourse) however I didn't think that the fact that the rear windows are tinted to about 18%, I think, from factory would make it look mismatched. I'm thinking on re-doing the front two windows, because the front windows deffinately look lighter than the rear ones. On a sunny day, you can almost see who's driving however on the rear windows you can't sh*t inside :D so my question is if it's possible to stack a 20% film and then a 5% film ontop of that (I'm saying 20% because I already know the shop doesn't offer 18%)? Do you all think that would even things up? Is it even possible? If you have done this or know someone who has please post pics...I will try to shoot some showing what I'm talking about

stephsman21 05-31-2010 11:53 AM

Re: Stacked window tint??

u mean 2 layers of tint??? i have heard of that! someone on here did that!!!

Hemi_05 05-31-2010 11:55 AM

5% on 20% would be too dark and you would have trouble seeing through the window, On my 05 The two driver windows are 5% on 35% then the four rear windows are 15% on 18% and then finally the rear window is 18% on 5%. That way it matches everything. Even through direct sunlight you would not be able to see who is driving my car or in the car. I had the car tinted several times and this was the best way.

Megatron 05-31-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi_05 (Post 215210)
5% on 20% would be too dark and you would have trouble seeing through the window, On my 05 The two driver windows are 5% on 35% then the four rear windows are 15% on 18% and then finally the rear window is 18% on 5%. That way it matches everything. Even through direct sunlight you would not be able to see who is driving my car or in the car. I had the car tinted several times and this was the best way.

Good info.

Scottina06 05-31-2010 01:13 PM

it looks lighter becasue of all the light coming in the windshield and sunroof(if you have one)

Hemi_05 05-31-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Paul (Post 215232)
Good info.

It took me three tint jobs to get it perfect. Thank god the owner of the tint shop is a good friend of mine!

CherokeeOnToyos 06-02-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 215241)
it looks lighter becasue of all the light coming in the windshield and sunroof(if you have one)

Yea your right but still, I believe that once I get the stacked tint it wont be as noticable because the rear are 5% ontop of factory 18%, and the front are just 5%'s...hopefully that'll even things out :worried: I have an appointment on friday anyways at the tint place because im finally taking the Challenger for some tints after some missed appointments LoL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Paul (Post 215232)
Good info.

x2! thanks for the info, I'll see what I work out on friday...I dont care about visability BTW LoL, i'll just roll down the window if I need to see the mirrors or something :thumbsup:

bur1196 06-05-2010 12:11 PM

Yes, 2 layers of tint can be done. I actually did 3 layers on my old Tracker (2 or the 20% and 1 of 5%).