Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, 2 related jeep diesel stories. I drove my 2006 Liberty CRD from NM to NY. Once there it died. Wouldn't crank, so after checking the usual suspects (Linkage, fuse, battery, etc) I had to have it towed. Little voice said bring it to Luis, the Guatemalan guy. Big voice said it probably needs a starter motor so I had it towed to jeep. After 3 months and 2 dealerships that replaced the ECU and wanted to do the TCU, it still wasn't fixed. I finally got back to NY to arrange to have it towed to Luis and when I went to the 2nd jeep dealership I popped open the hood and they had removed the plastic engine cover. I knew in 2 seconds what the problem was. There was a mouse nest in there! 2 dealer repair shops hadn't noticed. They didn't even clean it out! Anyway, Luis found the chewed wires and fixed it in 2 hours. I just drove it back to NM and it hummed along like a baby at 80 mph.

So now for the connection to this thread. My other jeep, back in NM is a 2014 GC Diesel. Started showing a CEL, then a few days later the Service Throttle Control Message, then a few days later a 'Drive fast to regenerate' message that wouldn't go away (and I drive fast). Checked under the hood, but all the wires looked good. So finally brought it to a NM Jeep dealership. Kudos to Lithia Jeep in Santa Fe. A mouse had moved in over the skid plates and chewed some sensor wires. The found it and fixed it in a few hours for a reasonable charge. I better buy some cats. Only bad news, I was hoping it was related to the diesel re-programming because then it would be covered under the extended warranty. Pity. Did the upgrade a few months ago. Fuel mileage seems to have dropped about 2 mpg at highway (more for local) and it doesn't have the ooomph it used to have, but still not bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We needed a vehicle in an emergency, so picked up the only small diesel I could find. A 2019 Chevy Colorado duramax. Very happy with it.

Been there, done that. We had a Jeep Cares case open after our second component failure. They were going to give us $1k of repair relief but then took it away. We tried to escalate and they basically said there was nothing they could do.

I'm about a day away from going to the Ford dealer and getting a new F-150. I was thinking about going Ram but no way I will do that now based on my experience with "FCA Cares" organization. They obviously don't care.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts