Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for the 0-60 times for the V6 & V8 and cannot find anything but speculation. There seems to be numbers for the SRT & Deisel, but not the V6 & V8. Does anyone have times?

·
The Negotiator
5,350 Posts
No official times yet. Unsure when these will be put out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nothing official, but they are pretty close as in earlier years.

·
Registered
2012 GC 4x4
305 Posts
Here are some times I found by test driving-

V8- slow
V6- a little bit slower

:)

·
Registered
941 Posts
The Hemi is slow. The V6 is 30% slower. The CRD is 15-20% slower. The SRT is 30% faster.

How's that do for ya?

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Hook, line, and.....

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Really/?

the Hemi in the 2014 is slower???

Dont tell me this I just ordered my Limited WTF lol

No thats not what they meant. They arent saying that the Hemi in the 2014 is slower than the Hemi in the 11-13's because im pretty sure it wont be. If anything slightly quicker.
What everyone was saying is that pretty much any Grand Cherokee you get with exception to the SRT8 is not going to be fast by any means.

From my experience this is what I felt from driving both vehicles. The Hemi feels stronger throughout the range, however at full throttle the Hemi and V6 feel very similar. When flooring both I could honestly not say either one without a doubt felt faster than the other. In a recent thread someone ran his Overland with Hemi at the drag strip and ran in the 16 second range which is basically downright slow. Granted he had 22" wheels, but still it would have been in the 15's at best.

I would like to see official times though to compare all of them. I dont even remember seeing times for the 11-13 V6 and V8's posted anywhere.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
GC is one of the fastest tow cars where it matters that I've had and that includes a GTO station wagon.

It is different. The very broad torque curve eleiminates any sensation of acelleration but it tends to just gather speed rapidly.

Frankly I am more concerned about 40-70 than 0-60 and have another toy if you want to get "pushed out of shape".

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you want to be fast look elsewhere...please don't be the guy trying to race people from stoplights in a Jeep. I test drove the 2014 V6 and I think it is completely adequate for the Vehicle, it comfortable moves the vehicle around town and merges on to the highway well and the cabin is quiet while the engine goes about its business.

I am used to a relatively fast vehicle (Audi S4), and I was in no way disappointed by the V6/8 speed, and yes it felt significantly quicker than the 2013 I drove just before as an comparison (that 2013 was apparently one of a kind because the dumbass dealer claimed both vehicles had the same exact engine and transmission, and that just the shifter was changed)

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,014 Posts
No thats not what they meant. They arent saying that the Hemi in the 2014 is slower than the Hemi in the 11-13's because im pretty sure it wont be. If anything slightly quicker.
Until we see the official times, this is just speculation.

I will say this: in the world of turbocharged Subarus, the manual Legacy GTs were faster 0-60 mph than the STIs because they only needed one shift, from 1st to 2nd whereas the Impreza STIs needed to shift to 3rd to reach 60 mph. The 2014 Jeep having extra gears (as in 8 speeds vs. 5 speeds) is not a guarantee of faster acceleration time in 0-60 mph or quarter mile. If the transmission has to shift 1-2 gears more, the car might be in fact slower.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My guess is that the '14 will feel faster, without being any faster. I figure the extra gear changes will offset the benefit of more gears, and it ends up being a dead heat.

I figure both Hemis will be mid 15s. Not fast really, but fast enough for something that is IN NO WAY DESIGNED TO BE FAST.

My beef with the V6 that it felt like it was struggling to lug around a fully equipped Overland. I figured that if I put a trailer behind it, more people and stuff in it, more elevation or incline on it, it just would be working super hard to move the vehicle.

The Hemi never felt like it was out of power. It felt like it had plenty more grunt to spare, and never needed to spin to high rpms to move around like the V6 did. It made me feel that I could tow, load up, etc. without having to worry about it.

I realize both would do this fine. But I also didn't want to have to spin to 4000rpm to get up a mountain road to get to the ski lodge because I was loaded down with gear and people.

The actual speed of the V6 IMO is acceptable. It's the feel that I didn't care for. I like the feeling of a pushrod engine with lots of low end grunt that doesn't need to spin up super fast to move a vehicle.

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,057 Posts
The estimates suggest about a second difference between the V6 and Hemi. That's about the same as previously. I can probably sacrifice a second for 5 mpg commuting difference.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,921 Posts
well...Im not speculating cause Ive driven the 14' SRT and it is in fact faster out of the box than the previous 12-13'! I got a cosistent 4.2---4.3 0-60 with using launch control. Theres been a couple members of the press put down 4.3's at COTA a couple weeks ago and SRT says their best time was 4.2. Thats a .5---.7 improvement over previous press 0-60 times of the 12' Jeep SRT. The 13' SRT had some 4.5 0-60 times due to the changed track setting from 60/40 split to 70/30 like the 14'. So the 12's were about 4.7 ---4.9.....13's about 4.5---4.6 0-60 and now the 14's are pulling 4.2-----4.3 best published times. I think once the 14's hit the streets...get some miles on them...we'll see low, low 4's and high 3's...which I saw with my best time of 3.9 in the 14.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
For many years the best 0-60 was a 3.8 set by a '65 Pontiac 2+2 with a 421 and the help of Jan's magic stopwatch.

That said, anything under 9 seconds is consiidered quick by most people

Something I have wondered is whether the SRT8 with the new 8 speed starts in first or second at WOT ? Is starting in first slower than starting in second (rev bound) ?

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,921 Posts
it starts in 1st...but tq control limits it a tad. Once tuning comes out for 14's....removes the tq control....these will be BEASTS!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want to be fast look elsewhere...please don't be the guy trying to race people from stoplights in a Jeep. I test drove the 2014 V6 and I think it is completely adequate for the Vehicle, it comfortable moves the vehicle around town and merges on to the highway well and the cabin is quiet while the engine goes about its business.

I am used to a relatively fast vehicle (Audi S4), and I was in no way disappointed by the V6/8 speed, and yes it felt significantly quicker than the 2013 I drove just before as an comparison (that 2013 was apparently one of a kind because the dumbass dealer claimed both vehicles had the same exact engine and transmission, and that just the shifter was changed)
Thank you for your input. I will not be racing anyone. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of the V6 & V8. Every little bit of info helps as this is the only option I am having trouble deciding on. This will be my first purchase of a vehicle in this price range so I want to be as sure as possible of my decision when I sign on the dotted line.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
Thank you for your input. I will not be racing anyone. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of the V6 & V8. Every little bit of info helps as this is the only option I am having trouble deciding on. This will be my first purchase of a vehicle in this price range so I want to be as sure as possible of my decision when I sign on the dotted line.
Most dealers should have a v6 and v8 2014 in stock and available for you to drive. It's your decision and your money.... don't let internet banter regarding v6 vs v8 acceleration push you either way. This is exactly what test drives are for!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts