Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 02 4 cylinder that was overheating every couple days on my wife. I changed the thermostat with 195, No fix. I then flushed and replaced radiator, water pump and hoses. Still no fix. the fans come on a hair before 210 and little bit further it goes to a higher speed. And starts to suck water. My fan do not turn on at idle with AC on. However if I disconnect the socket connector on the temp sensor with the a/c on the fans will kick on but as soon as I plug the sensor back in they stop. I then replaced the sensor and the same thing happens. I then went to the relay under the head lamp. It was so hot I couldn't grab on to it. The previous owner did bypass the heater core, I asume because it was leaking. I have no white smoke or drips from tailpipe. No leaks, oil looks great. Engine runs great. It has 140,000 miles. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
139 Posts
Hi, I have a 02 4 cylinder that was overheating every couple days on my wife. I changed the thermostat with 195, No fix. I then flushed and replaced radiator, water pump and hoses. Still no fix. the fans come on a hair before 210 and little bit further it goes to a higher speed. And starts to suck water. My fan do not turn on at idle with AC on. However if I disconnect the socket connector on the temp sensor with the a/c on the fans will kick on but as soon as I plug the sensor back in they stop. I then replaced the sensor and the same thing happens. I then went to the relay under the head lamp. It was so hot I couldn't grab on to it. The previous owner did bypass the heater core, I asume because it was leaking. I have no white smoke or drips from tailpipe. No leaks, oil looks great. Engine runs great. It has 140,000 miles. Any help would be great.
Welcome to The Forum!

Not sure what you mean by, "starts to suck water"? Do you mean it's starting to circulate coolant? It should start to circulate at 195, before the fan turns on. You could have a new but defective thermostat. Did the new one get installed upside down?

Did you replace the overheated relay? There is another relay in the fuse box that controls the AC as well. Did you check all the fuses? Have you replaced the radiator cap? A bad cap can cause overheating. You said you replaced the radiator, WJ radiators can be specific to each year. I bought a cheaper radiator for a different year than mine and it would overheat constantly, even though the gaps were very small. I bought the correct radiator and now does not overheat. If the fan shroud does not fit correctly, it will overheat make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts