Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I had a question regarding switching from the stock air intake to the srt8 intake tube is there a difference in doing it I've read it helps but in what aspects more power, response, mpg just trying to figure it out let me know thanks 馃憤

Registered
2006 WK Overland
Welcome to the forum. The stock setup is a fairly restrictive chambered silencer and the SRT8 tube is less restrictive. Just switching over won't make a world of difference but it will help a little, especially at higher RPM. If you're after better airflow through the intake, along with the SRT8 tube, you should consider adding a second inlet to the airbox (see pix below), and a high flow air filter element. This will help a bit more, but again, more so at higher RPM. Putting around town, you'll not probably notice any difference with any of these mods. Your throttle response and fuel economy (probably only on the highway) may also improve slightly.

Remember, most mods don't make a huge difference by themsleves but, cumulatively, they do add up. The only mods. I've found that make a huge difference are a complete low restriction header back exhaust system (should be done first) and a well selected, mild performance cam and kit. Those two mods alone, along with your custom CAI and a good tune, are worth about 75-90 horsepower. My 06 Overland is fairly well modified and, at its best, increased horsepower by about 100-125 horsepower and increased the highway fuel economy by about 25%.

IMG_1946.jpg

Registered
Going to the SRT tube will be louder and make mds rougher, and is not worth the tradeoff for a couple hp at max rpm You may lose low end torque also. The oem intake works best in a stock 5.7. Get a catch can first, clean the TB.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Going to the SRT tube will be louder and make mds rougher, and is not worth the tradeoff for a couple hp at max rpm You may lose low end torque also. The oem intake works best in a stock 5.7. Get a catch can first, clean the TB.
Any recommendations on brand for catch can and do these jeeps with the 5.7 have a issue with the TB as I see on the forum lots of people say to clean them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts