Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
UPDATE: Just uploaded the 93 tune from Sean at Hemifever that has the MDS activated. I noticed my MPG drop from 14.4 to 14.1-14.2 with the initial 93 tune with the MDS deactivated. As I am primarily driving city mileage, this makes since (turning the MDS back on).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
UPDATE:. A month in now on the Hemifever 93 tune and still enjoying it. MPG at 14.1 fairly consistently with about 90% city mileage.

On an unrelated note, the AC was hissing and getting luke-warm, so used AC Pro this evening, which seems to have helped, at least on the driver's side (the blend door issue is affecting the passenger side).

Checked the oil at 2500 miles and its staying steady at the same level as about 1000 miles out from the last oil change. For some reason the check oil indicator keeps coming on at 2500 miles, pretty much the last 5 times consistently. I try to extend the oil changes to 5k usually, since I'm using full synthetic 5w20. Not sure why it now comes on this early though (didn't do it the first 2 years I owned it). The only thing that has probably changed is more city mileage overall (probably more stop and go).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
UPDATE: About 4000 miles since the last oil change and the catch can is working well (this is actually about 3000 miles worth, since I drained it about 1000 out).... Average MPG at 14.0

IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6177.JPG

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Glad to hear all the mods are working well, CC's are great ! not only keep everything clean, but ignition timing runs at full advance, whereas it retards timing without a CC, when crank blowby enters the combustion chamber mixture.
Did you put seafoam in the fuel tank also ? I do it every oil change, in the crankcase and the gas tank, and that really helps with improving mpg and throttle response.

Reactions: Halveye

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah, I put it in both about 200-300 miles before the last oil change, and plan to keep doing so. I plan to change the O2 sensors and MAP sensor next.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
https://youtu.be/T28PSPM8q90

Sounding good.

Just a random observation with current intake (stock box/K&N filter/AirRaid MIT), IAT at 45+ mph speed is about 11 degrees above ambient temp... Rises when I'm stopped in the city, but drops quickly when I'm at 45+ mph.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah, I put it in both about 200-300 miles before the last oil change, and plan to keep doing so. I plan to change the O2 sensors and MAP sensor next.
The O2's are a total PITA on the Hemi, and I finally gave up and paid to have it done, which made a notable improvement with low end torque, throttle response and upped city mpg
The MAP is a bit of a PITA too, (what isn't on these ? ) as you have to break the plastic posts off the back of the intake manifold to install a new one. I just installed another new MAP and at 140k, the hemi runs way better than when it was new, no noises or ticks, perfectly smooth from cold weather startup to hot, 0-60 times currently 5.4 ish. and HWY mpg over 22, which is 5 mpg better than when it was new.

Reactions: Halveye

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The O2's are a total PITA on the Hemi, and I finally gave up and paid to have it done, which made a notable improvement with low end torque, throttle response and upped city mpg

The MAP is a bit of a PITA too, (what isn't on these ? ) as you have to break the plastic posts off the back of the intake manifold to install a new one. I just installed another new MAP and at 140k, the hemi runs way better than when it was new, no noises or ticks, perfectly smooth from cold weather startup to hot, 0-60 times currently 5.4 ish. and HWY mpg over 22, which is 5 mpg better than when it was new.

Thanks for the info. I'll likely talk to my mechanic, as I'm likely lacking some of the mechanic skills needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Been about 2 months since I checked the catch can, and since I am currently driving about 800 miles round trip (IN->Tenn, then back), needed to do a pre-trip engine check/top off of oil/coolant, etc.... Oil level holding steady, coolant a little low, so topped off... Catch can emptied...
IMG_6289.jpg IMG_6294.jpg then cleaned IMG_6292.jpg ... So far on the trip, only about 300 miles in, ECT holding steady at 198 or less, IAT holding at 8 degrees above ambient (ambient at 42 now)... Running like a champ... Was actually gonna rent a car, but now glad I didn't... Can't beat a Jeep for a long trip

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
UPDATE:
After an oil change one month ago and emptying the catch can one week prior to that (right before the trip to Tenn)... This was the current "catch":

IMG_6364.jpg IMG_6365.jpg then cleaned:
IMG_6366.jpg IMG_6367.jpg

This was the first actual month of cold weather (15-34F) for this catch can.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
UPDATE: As with many, my blend door/actuator-gear has failed on the passenger side (actually happened about two years ago, but just recently started to click louder for a longer period on start up when the heater is turned on). So I've decided to go ahead and attempt the fix (sometime soon). I purchased both the actuator and gear, as I wasn't sure which was the problem):

Blend Door Actuator/Gear: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 2009

Dorman 604-006 Air Door Actuator
OEM F04058 5143192AA

OEM JEEP Actuator gear for A/C air inlet housing MOPAR
OEM 68072190AA

Neiko 03044A Mini Ratcheting Offset Screwdriver and Bit Set, Pocket Size Close-Quarters ,1/4-Inch Drive

IMG_6368.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
This was the "catch" at 7 weeks... The first one to show the milky appearance during winter months...
IMG_6606.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
UPDATE: This was the catch at 13 weeks, most yet...
IMG_7118.jpg
IMG_7117.jpg
And then... Clean again...
IMG_7119.jpg

Running Sea Foam in the crank case/fuel for the next couple of weeks until the next oil change.

Planning to get a heat shroud for the modular intake tube in the next month.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
UPDATE: Finally purchased the DEI Cool Cover Air Tube Cover Kit (to cover my Air Raid Modular Intake Tube)
IMG_7227.jpg
It is going to require some cutting/fitting, but should work well...I'll post pictures once installed

NOTE:
[email protected] baseline, running IAT temperature on highway/interstate with ambient temp at 80+ Fahrenheit, is within 9-12 degrees warmer (11 degrees usually).

[email protected] baseline, running IAT temperature in town/city driving 30-45 mph/stop-go, with ambient temp at 80+ Fahrenheit, is within 20-30 degrees warmer (Stop and go temps rise quite a bit, but come down when moving).

-While idling for 10-15 minutes with the same 80+ Fahrenheit/not in direct sunlight, the IAT easily gets to 150+ (heat sink)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
UPDATE: So, installed the cool cover... And happy with results. Was a bit tough to fit, due to the angle at the throttle body, but I made it work.... And...I found that my modular intake tube was loose at the throttle body, so I'm especially glad I installed this tonight.

Before...
IMG_7233.jpg
After...
IMG_7234.jpg IMG_7239.jpg IMG_7236.jpg

Left over...
IMG_7241.jpg

I plan to use the excess as a shroud over the air box... But need to get some hook and loop closures to adhere to the air box.

Gonna drive in a bit to see how it works/runs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
UPDATE: After driving on the interstate for 22 minutes one way, I can objectively say it was cooler at 65mph, showing IAT at 7-8 degrees Fahrenheit above ambient temp. In town/city driving stayed within 10-15 degrees of ambient temp.

When I got home, I installed the rest of the material as a shroud over the air box, as well as using HVAC tape to seal the IAT sensor.

IMG_7242.jpg IMG_7243.jpg IMG_7244.jpg IMG_7245.jpg IMG_7249.jpg IMG_7250.jpg

61 - 80 of 115 Posts