Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 just turned 100,000 the other night. That’s after I put 40,000 on my 2014 JGC CRD. I’ll include some pics with my impressions through the years and these 140,000 miles.

A nice milestone, and I’m hoping it’s the first of many. If all continues going well I’d like to keep this baby until 500,000 miles. Maybe even 1,000,000.

Mine is bone stock, pretty much. I added skid plates so it’s equivalent to being trail rated.

I continue to be impressed with the JGC CRD. It’s been 7 years now. 2 years with the 2014 that ended with a lemon law buy back, and now this one. To me the JGC CRD is perfect because...

a) road manners
b) off road ability
c) that CRD engine: torque, torque, torque
d) MPG, and range

I’ll begin with a) road manners:

• the JGC is a comfortable commuter and road tripping machine, nice looking too
  • it is a luxurious ride, nicely appointed
  • this JGC will cruise at 85+ MPH all day long, comfortably on vented or heated seats; out here in the west there are many open roads where 85+ is plenty safe

b) off road ability:

• this street-oriented WK2 is nicely capable off road
  • the QD-II and rear ELSD work well!
  • HDC, hill descent control, works great. It is miraculous when the trail is muddy and off camber with a steep cliff beside you; HDC takes a nerve-wracking situation and makes it downright tame; sure you can practice your skills without using HDC, but usually Isaac Newton (gravity) rules the trail and HDC can do more than good skills can
  • QL, quadra-lift, is perfect for me since I do 95% on road and 5% off road. At the push of the QL button I get a decent amount of extra clearance. Sure the rebound is practically gone but the trade off is the convenience. For someone who needs maybe 20% or more off road, QL may not be for you. You may want a lift. For me it suits my needs perfectly.
  • I have 101,000+ miles on AT tires, BFG KO2s and Duratracs, but now I’m running LT tires with a street tread and so with 12,000 miles on them so far they’ve been fine on the trails and on the dunes, and nice and quiet on the highways. I get it, AT tires sure look badass and they are stronger out in the field, but on the road they are less safe because they have less grip. When it’s muddy, once the AT treads are packed with mud then my street tires are just as effective.
  • for such a nicely street-oriented car, it is a nicely capable off road rig. I’ve taken my JGC places that raise eyebrows of Wrangler jockeys.
  • and when I’m out on the trail I’m in total comfort. I see a young guy driving his open lifted rig on a hot dusty day, with his young lady next to him. They can wash the grit out of their teeth, while my wife and I are in clean comfort, sipping our cool drinks. I see that pretty young lady look at us with a “now why can’t we be in that nice JGC?” look on her face. I want to invite her in but I don’t. My wife wouldn’t appreciate it.

(continues...)

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continued...

c) that CRD engine: torque, torque, torque

• 420 foot-pounds of torque
  • capable of towing 7,000 lbs; I’ve towed 4,200 lbs up and over the Santa Cruz mountains, effortlessly
  • decent acceleration, for an engine that gets decent MPGs
  • this JGC CRD will cruise at 85+ MPH all day long, easily
  • and the engine temps stay low while doing all of this
  • at legal highway cruising speeds the engine is barely above idle RPMs, at about 1,800 RPMs. With regular maintenance this engine should last a long time.

d) MPG, and range

• I regularly get 500+ miles on a tank. If I’m ginger on the go pedal I get 600+ on a tank. The most I ever got, hypermiling it, was 835 miles on a tank. That’s 36 MPG. It’s nice to know it can be done, if needed.
  • here is my JG post when I reported those 835 miles: Hypermiling the Diesel JGC: Max Range, 700, 800, 900 Miles?
  • need I say more

To me this JGC CRD is perfect. Let’s hope she keeps running strong for many more miles and years and adventures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Good luck hitting even 200k without the intake manifold getting gummed up with soot to the point the swirl valves stop working.

What's your service intervals for oil and fuel filter? Have you considered bypass oil filtration or any other mods to hedge longevity in your favor?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good luck hitting even 200k without the intake manifold getting gummed up with soot to the point the swirl valves stop working.

What's your service intervals for oil and fuel filter? Have you considered bypass oil filtration or any other mods to hedge longevity in your favor?
I know a guy 30 km from me that has 540 000km on his 2014 Eco D Overland,bone stock...
Just saying...
Bounty Hunter ,i read lot of your posts ,& can tell you that a lot has been learned & done,but here in Germany there is a no ,no, for EGR delete but all the other things i do regularly,& oil change at 8000km..
Gretings from Germany

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland Ecodiesel
4 Posts
Using that renewable diesel will keep that soot down, he's gonna hit 200k just fine. I'm at 140k and using renewable diesel exclusively and the soot build up in my intake is minor.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using that renewable diesel will keep that soot down, he's gonna hit 200k just fine. I'm at 140k and using renewable diesel exclusively and the soot build up in my intake is minor.
Is that like the Propel HPR?

Reactions: YANKEE

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's the exact same. HPR is just a flashy name to the product. I'm also in CA and primarily use Propel stations since there's more of them available. 76 also has renewable diesel in CA but not as wide spread as Propel.
Thanks. That’s all I use ever since first spotting P-HPR back in Feb 2017. I nearly freaked out, wasn’t sure if I could use it. I posted about that here, Diesel #2 HPR? What is that? It's OK, apparently..

I’ve gotten to where I map out the P- HPR stations when traveling. Last week I got back from a week in Palm Springs. I drove from Redwood City to Ontario, filled up there, drove around for a week in PS CA, went over to Hemet and filled up, and make it home to fill up in Redwood City.

The entire road trip used P-HPR.

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland Ecodiesel
4 Posts
Thanks. That’s all I use ever since first spotting P-HPR back in Feb 2017. I nearly freaked out, wasn’t sure if I could use it. I posted about that here, Diesel #2 HPR? What is that? It's OK, apparently..

I’ve gotten to where I map out the P- HPR stations when traveling. Last week I got back from a week in Palm Springs. I drove from Redwood City to Ontario, filled up there, drove around for a week in PS CA, went over to Hemet and filled up, and make it home to fill up in Redwood City.

The entire road trip used P-HPR.
Same here, whether it's commuting to work, or a road trip (in CA anyways) its nothing but renewable diesel.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know a guy 30 km from me that has 540 000km on his 2014 Eco D Overland,bone stock...
Just saying...
Bounty Hunter ,i read lot of your posts ,& can tell you that a lot has been learned & done,but here in Germany there is a no ,no, for EGR delete but all the other things i do regularly,& oil change at 8000km..
Gretings from Germany
Hello to you in Germany, @YANKEE. I met an owner who drove his many miles and it was bone stock. He had like 300,000 miles because he drove 100-200 miles a day for work. It was in CA USA, so no delete.

High mileage JGC CRDs are out there. It’s one nature of the forums that can lead people to believe that ‘everyone’ has problems with this CRD engine.While many do, many also do not.

Reactions: YANKEE

·
Registered
5 Posts
2018 GC Diesel, love it. Use mostly for long drives, 300 miles each way. Mileage is impressive. Had a few issues and would have a few suggestions if Jeep asked. Put snow tires on every winter, and what a difference. Yes it a burden but what is your life worth? I call it the Big Boy, ready to go all the time. Can not wait for warm weather again....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts