Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 WK2 Laredo
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all.

I haven't posted in a while (still hoping they get a new iOS version of the app out soon), but I thought I'd make a post about my 100k mile maintenance, just in case anyone actually cares.

1. Coolant - I haven't changed my coolant since I got the truck (2012 Laredo v6) in January of 2013. I got some Prestone coolant flush and Prestone 50/50 coolant.

What I did was remove the skid plate from the bottom first (couple 10 and 12mm bolts if Im not mistaken a few twisty plastic clips. On the bottom driver's side of the radiator, you just unscrew a little red plastic cap and it will drain out of a small spout. Unscrew the radiator cap to drain faster. What you guys COULD do instead of removing the skid plate is to connect a small plastic tube to the spout and run the tube out beside the skid plate into your catch pan. You can reach the spout and cap from the top side. After that was drained, I poured in the flush and added water as per the directions on the bottle. Ran that about an hour, drained it, and shot more water thru the radiator cap until the spout is spitting clean water. Screwed the spout cap back in, filled with coolant, radiator cap back on and got it up to operating temp. Then I got a few shop towels and surrounded the coolant bleeder valve near the thermostat housing and bled til there were no air bubbles. Very easy.

2. I read in the maintenance guide that the iridium spark plugs only need to be changed every 100k miles so I watched the video below on how to remove the upper intake manifold and the rest was super easy. It was a little stressful because I'd never done this much before but it was very easy looking back at it now. I think it was a 10mm bolt holding each coil pack on and a rubber boot that slides onto the spark plug. Pull each one out, replace one at a time and label each plug as to where it came from so in case there is a noticeable problem, you'll know what cylinder that plug came out of. Once those were all replaced, I reinstalled the upper intake manifold, throttle body, and air intake. Runs quite a bit smoother now. On my drive from South West GA back to Atlanta and for a week afterwards, I was getting 27.5 mpg going 65-70mph. It has since come back down to 23.5mpg now driving around in the city but still much smoother.

One thing I noticed is just how much oil was all over the inside of the upper and lower intakes. I mean it was WAY worse than I was anticipating, so a catch can will probably be in my future. I wiped off as much as I could.

Anyways, these were two fairly easy procedures that went well with no issues, so I thought I'd share my experience. P.S. I wish there was a different style upper intake plenum so you don't have to remove it to get to the driver's side plugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSu3iImFHIY

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
As part of the 100K maintenance, don't forget to change the diff fluids, and the t-case fluid. If you have a 2wd, then it's even easier.

I recently did my 100K maintenance on my 2011 4x4 V6. I did the plugs, diffs, t-case, air filter, and cabin filter. I also found a lot of oil in the intake and air plenum. There was actually a puddle of standing oil, in the air plenum.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Hi, all.

I haven't posted in a while (still hoping they get a new iOS version of the app out soon)
FYI, I don't think they plan to introduce an updated JeepGarage app... You can access it through the Tapatalk or Autoguide apps, both updated and working fine on the latest IOS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts