Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've searched and rad on here in various threads that the swap from a 130 system w/uconnect and Sirius, to a 430N RHB unit, is a straight plug and play swap. Meaning I can reuse the existing antenna, wiring, etc. I made my over to WK2 Jeeps via a link I found in a thread on this topic. It gives me conflicting info.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2011-2013 Grand Cherokee Navigation radios

Vehicle being upgraded from (AM/FM and SATELLITE RADIO) the following is required:

RADIO REMOVAL
*ANTENNA REPLACEMENT*
RADIO INSTALLATION

The antenna replacement is the part that is confusing me. Is it required or not? As far as I know, or knew, the antenna was the same, since the GPS and SAT radio is bilt into one antenna, the same antenna used on all Jeeps that have Sirius Radio.

Can anyone who has doen the swap or knows clarify? All of this is on my 2013 WK2 Laredo BTW. Currently has the 130N w/Uconnect, Sirius, the center console USB port, and bluetooth streaming. New 430N RHB unit is coming from a 2012 WK2, guy I'm getting it from is getting the security code from the dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
From what I've read as long as you have SiriusXM and uconnect it should be plug and play and have full-functioning features. There's been quite a few people that have done this swap and not had any issues.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's a straight swap. Same antenna connectors since you already have SAT. I came from a 130 with SAT to an RHB with anti-theft.

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the WK2 Jeeps link is wrong then? Thanks for clarifying. Everything I've read on here says the antenna does NOT need changed.

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did it myself. I had sirius and uconnect with my 130. The rhb was plug and play.
Awesome. Thanks. Did your free 1 yr Sirius subscription still work on the 430N? Assuming you still had the free 1 yr.

·
Registered
Summit
280 Posts
Awesome. Thanks. Did your free 1 yr Sirius subscription still work on the 430N? Assuming you still had the free 1 yr.
That's the only bad thing. I have the free sirius til October. The radio I got had sirius and travelink active when I first installed it. Lasted a couple months and then was turned off.

Hasn't been bad at all since I stream Pandora and all I ever listened to on Sirius was the 80's station lol

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm the same way. If I could get a Sirius subscription of ONLY Octane, that'd be awesome, since it's the only station that I ever tune to. But my wife uses it as well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I also lost the remainder of my subscription but that was no biggie. The radio I replaced it with did not have an active sub.

·
Registered
321 Posts
call Sirius customer service & tell them you would like to transfer your existing service to a different receiver. They can "cancel" your sub on the og unit and then transfer it to the 430. You will need serial #'s to complete

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
call Sirius customer service & tell them you would like to transfer your existing service to a different receiver. They can "cancel" your sub on the og unit and then transfer it to the 430. You will need serial #'s to complete
Thanks. I'll definitely give that a shot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you installing a backup camera as well? Also since you will be removing the head unit, would be a perfect time to install a mygig lockpick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have base laredo with the 130 RES, no sirius. When I went to install my aftermarket NAV system, I noticed a yellow antenna connector, which I assume was for the NAV/SAT. IMO, I believe all the JGC comes with the NAV/SAT antenna installed already.

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you installing a backup camera as well? Also since you will be removing the head unit, would be a perfect time to install a mygig lockpick.
I had a lock pick in my JK Wrangler. It was nice but I doubt I'll get it for the WK2. Already ordered the back up camera panel from Just for Jeeps.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you still have a lot of time left on the sirius sub then it might be worth the call to transfer. I think they charge $15 to transfer.

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you still have a lot of time left on the sirius sub then it might be worth the call to transfer. I think they charge $15 to transfer.
Awesome. I still have 9 months left on my free subscription. Definitely have to do this.

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it swapped out with the new 430N RHB and it worked great. Entered the security code and everything is working perfect, to include the navigation, Sirius radio, and travel link. Antenna is working just as everyone said. Which makes me wonder why the Chrysler installation PDF says that a new antenna is required, when it is proven that is not the case. I'll get some pics up in a bit.

·
Registered
Trail Hawk
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here it is installed. Works great! Even prompts turns on the EVIC during route guidance. Next up? Digital climate control swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the RES radio as well and would love to upgrade to 430. Just to get an idea....where did you guys buy your 430 radios from and about what did you pay?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts