Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
Its 1 word, this one word has been known to be non existent in the import world since the dawn of imports, its what separates the men from the boys (or the men from the men with a lot of extra scratch to blow on a lesser product). This word I speak of is called TORQUE. 6.4l V8 has WAY more torque which is usable power below 5252 rpms, with this power down lower, naturally it needs less RPM to perform a perfect launch. Now the imports that rev to 8k rpm dont hit their max torque till after 5252 rpms which means to get the power to the wheels the rpms have to be higher.

This 5252 number is the magic number that dictates if the car has more torque than horsepower or visa-versa.

Even then with the gtr if you use this launch control your kissing your warranty good by on a 20k dollar transmission, so YES, a lot probably has to do with drivetrain longevity, taking the option and the argument for warranty repairs more out of the customers hands by being a little more gentle.

·
Premium Member
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
How is that different from what I said? Not sure I am following.

·
Premium Member
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
Got ya.

Sent from my SCH-I500

·
Premium Member
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
Ignition timing can be adjusted at ANY rpm, not sure I follow the logic.

·
Premium Member
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
Hey Joe, This is what I was speaking of... not what actually creates or dicates torque simply its direct correlation with this number. Using this calculation for HP:

hp = (torque * RPM) / 5250
You can see plugging numbers in that it backs what I said, (1000tq x 3500rpm)/5250 = is only 666hp. More tq below 5250 rpm means there will be less hp than torque. And visa-versa. Again no comment on how torque is generated simply stating that they have a direct relationship with the number 5250 which is just a constant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.