Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for this and can't find anything about it. The voice control apparently thinks I am speaking mandarin as it just can't figure out what I am saying.

I remember on my other chrysler uconnect products (mygig), that I went through a voice training process when I bought the car, but it doesn't seem to be available on the 14.

Anyone find that theirs is not working in recognizing their voice commands?

·
Registered
311 Posts
nothing at all?

I noticed it has a hard time figuring out what to do if you don't say the exact command. did you try looking at the voice command manual?

mine does weird things like it won't work if I say "play bob marley" but does just fine if I ssy "play 'artist' bob marley"

I haven't sern any learning mode, maybe it doesn't have one or it's hidden somewhere that I'm not aware of

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, it must be that... but I also don't get the layout for voice commands. I mean when you are in nav and say something wrong it starts playing classical music or something. The part I have the most trouble with is the bing search stuff... I never know where it is and it never understands what I am saying...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I agree. I cannot find the voice training or system setup via voice on my 2014 GC Overland. I think they removed this option from the 2014 models. I also didn't find the compass calibration.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited
175 Posts
The only compass calibration comment I saw in the Owner's Manual was to slowly drive in a circle in a large parking lot...and all should be well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The only compass calibration comment I saw in the Owner's Manual was to slowly drive in a circle in a large parking lot...and all should be well.
With all other compasses I have used, you have to tell the compass that it is in calibration mode before you turn your circles otherwise you are just turning in circles and not calibrating the compass.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
With all other compasses I have used, you have to tell the compass that it is in calibration mode before you turn your circles otherwise you are just turning in circles and not calibrating the compass.
Not the last couple of cars I had. In fact Jeep says to do it only if you have a problem.

I think it's because they depend on GPS and not finding magnetic north.

---

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not the last couple of cars I had. In fact Jeep says to do it only if you have a problem.

I think it's because they depend on GPS and not finding magnetic north.

---
It looks like the 2011 or 2012 had a compass variance mode that you could manually call up and correct for. Not sure if the 2014 does this or not. I don't have that manual on me now (need to download it again).

From an older (2012?) manual:
...If the compass appears erratic or inaccurate and the
variance has been properly set, you may wish to manually
recalibrate the compass. To manually calibrate the
compass:
1. First enter the variance mode. Press and hold the left
button (located on the instrument cluster) for approximately
10 seconds to enter the variance mode, and
release the button when the VAR (Compass Variance)
symbol appears.
2. The current variance value will also be displayed.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
It looks like the 2011 or 2012 had a compass variance mode that you could manually call up and correct for. Not sure if the 2014 does this or not. I don't have that manual on me now (need to download it again).

From an older (2012?) manual:
...If the compass appears erratic or inaccurate and the
variance has been properly set, you may wish to manually
recalibrate the compass. To manually calibrate the
compass:
1. First enter the variance mode. Press and hold the left
button (located on the instrument cluster) for approximately
10 seconds to enter the variance mode, and
release the button when the VAR (Compass Variance)
symbol appears.
2. The current variance value will also be displayed.
I think you might be right. Page 325 in the manual does have a calibration procedure. I never saw the button they refer to, but I'll look next time I'm behind the wheel.

---

·
Registered
66 Posts
mine has no clue with my english accent..............home= phone etc. or maybe its allergies.............

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Using the proper voice commands works really well for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
'14 compass instruction from manual:

"This compass is self-calibrating, which eliminates the need to
manually reset the compass. When the vehicle is new, the
compass may appear erratic and the EVIC will display CAL until the compass is calibrated. You may also calibrate the compass by pressing the ON soft-key and
completing one or more 360-degree turns (in an area free
from large metal or metallic objects) until the CAL
indicator displayed in the EVIC turns off. The compass
will now function normally."

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine is hit or miss depending on if I'm driving or not. Seems to work a little better sitting still. All the radio, temperature commands work good. Few of the addresses I've tried failed miserably but some do work ok. I swear the person inside cannot understand "Franklin Pennsylvania" no matter what I say though. My 2012 actually worked a little better at understanding me than the new one does.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am getting more and more pissed at mine every time I try it.. the only word it seems to understand is cancel. It really can't understand names and addresses at all... I have tried it with air con off and sitting at a stoplight etc, and nothing. It constantly tries to turn what I am saying into some obtuse SAT radio channel... half of which it says I am not able to tune to. Its just a pile of stinking crap. Luckily I have my iphone with its Siri (which isn't great but miles ahead of the Jeep stuff) to look up names to dial.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I found it funny (not really) that when I asked it to dial a number it told me that there was only one entry in the phone book for [name here] so it was going to dial it.

Geez, just dial the dang number already. :confused:

I was really hoping for better interaction than this. Siri has set the bar high and the Jeep system is failing pretty badly. :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found it funny (not really) that when I asked it to dial a number it told me that there was only one entry in the phone book for [name here] so it was going to dial it.

Geez, just dial the dang number already. :confused:

I was really hoping for better interaction than this. Siri has set the bar high and the Jeep system is failing pretty badly. :(
I think Siri works better because it basically records your voice, then sends it off through the net to a huge datacenter where they can use enormous processing power to figure out what you want, then get the results, then send them back... our system is basically running a small processor trying to do a lot more work than it is obviously capable of.... None of the cars I have had with voice control really work well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think Siri works better because it basically records your voice, then sends it off through the net to a huge datacenter where they can use enormous processing power to figure out what you want, then get the results, then send them back... our system is basically running a small processor trying to do a lot more work than it is obviously capable of.... None of the cars I have had with voice control really work well.
Hmm, with the delay on the voice commands with the Jeep, I assumed that it was doing the same (sending the voice file off to a server via the slow 3G wireless and sending it back). I guess that would not work when you don't have a cell signal so does that mean that the head unit is trying to do all of this local? If so, no wonder it doesn't work well (although it should be faster).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope, don't think it sends it anywhere... otherwise if you don't extend the 3G service after the free year, voice control wouldn't work. The delay is likely the slow processing of the CPU thats in there...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I am getting more and more pissed at mine every time I try it.. the only word it seems to understand is cancel. It really can't understand names and addresses at all... I have tried it with air con off and sitting at a stoplight etc, and nothing. It constantly tries to turn what I am saying into some obtuse SAT radio channel... half of which it says I am not able to tune to. Its just a pile of stinking crap. Luckily I have my iphone with its Siri (which isn't great but miles ahead of the Jeep stuff) to look up names to dial.
You're right, it does understand cancel quite well. Even with the HVAC on Max Cool and the radio cranked up doing 70 mph, the VR always hears cancel with no problem. But yes, the VR on my 2012 Overland worked much, much better. They took one step forward with the VR on the 2012 and they took the rear exit on the 2014. That's Sergio's idea of progress for Chrysler LLC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.