Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, what are you getting so far?

5.7L - 12.8 mpg average. I've logged 220 miles so far, nearly all city driving (at most 55mph on city hwy, lots of lights, and stop and go... downtown DC area).

Side note, what PSI are you running your tires at? Dealer had mine at 38PSI, but took down to 33 PSI, which is what the door panel stated as correct PSI for my 18"s.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That not good at all with the new 8 speed trans, I get the same numbers with my 05 WK Hemi. Maybe it will get better with time or once it broke in. Maybe more 14 owners will post up. Good luck

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
That not good at all with the new 8 speed trans, I get the same numbers with my 05 WK Hemi. Maybe it will get better with time or once it broke in. Maybe more 14 owners will post up. Good luck
Agree...I get 13.5-14.5 in a mix of stop and go highway traffic in an 05 Hemi.

·
Registered
41 Posts
in my v6...

average 18mpg city
average 21mpg hwy

ive got about 900 miles on it now and just took it recently on a 170 mile round trip where i did about 70mph on cruise the whole way (21mpg)

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
It's annoying when I'm doing 70+mph and it stays in 7th gear going down the highway like it's struggling. My average since new is 18mpg with 70% highway driving. V6 with 800 miles.

·
Registered
'14 Cherokke Limited
134 Posts
Drove from MD to NJ basically at 75-80 on the highway averaged 19.4 gallons according to the Eco reading.

Still have under 300 miles on it. But like someone mentioned earlier hopefully takes time to break in.

I was getting 19-20 highway on my V8 '08 CJ limited...

Reactions: njtoman

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,010 Posts
Your comparisons do not really help much due to factors that include environmental (terrain elevation, wind, rain, ambient temperature); anthropogenic (traffic; driving preference - sport vs eco; cruise control vs. no CC; driving speeds) and car factors (engine/tranny combo "breaking in"; increased resistance from new tires; under-inflation of tires etc).

Any meaningful fuel economy tests are done in manners that minimize all these factors. Like a steady speed (60 mph) on cruise control and flat terrain, resetting the EVIC in the same manner by everyone.

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
Your comparisons do not really help much due to factors that include environmental (terrain elevation, wind, rain, ambient temperature); anthropogenic (traffic; driving preference - sport vs eco; cruise control vs. no CC; driving speeds) and car factors (engine/tranny combo "breaking in"; increased resistance from new tires; under-inflation of tires etc).

Any meaningful fuel economy tests are done in manners that minimize all these factors. Like a steady speed (60 mph) on cruise control and flat terrain, resetting the EVIC in the same manner by everyone.
Okay everyone take their Jeep to the local dyno and log 250 miles with 38 PSI in their tires. Now that's real world numbers.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
Before I retired I did a lot of driving for business. I also bought a lot of new cars. Since I had to keep track of my gas purchases, I used to also document mpg. What I found (as did some coworkers) is that mileage doesn't really peak until way past what you would consider a break in period. If you're keeping track now, compare it to what you are getting with 5 - 10 thousand miles on the vehicle. It will probably be better.

But no promises ;)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Interesting but not really surprising. There is not that much difference in the top gear ratio for a V-6 from my '12, about 200 rpm at 70 in 8th and gearing is lower in 7th.

At 70 what is your rpm and IMAP reading ? Also what is the lowest speed it will shift into 8th ?

It does seem odd that the cars are being sold but the only GC rating on fueleconomy.gov is for the SRT8. Once the full spreadsheet is available we can see just what game is being played.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Anyone that states strictly CITY driving isnt going to be good. Hell, even a V6 Accord is going to have bad numbers driving in the city. So yeah even though 12 mpg sucks, its not really a good to judge using a car that is driven in downtown Chicago or something like that.

·
Registered
'14 wht/blu Overland
210 Posts

I think that's the point of this post - to crowdsource enough data from a large enough sample size to narrow down the beta to useable figures without the benefit of a controlled environment.

Reactions: njtoman

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before I retired I did a lot of driving for business. I also bought a lot of new cars. Since I had to keep track of my gas purchases, I used to also document mpg. What I found (as did some coworkers) is that mileage doesn't really peak until way past what you would consider a break in period. If you're keeping track now, compare it to what you are getting with 5 - 10 thousand miles on the vehicle. It will probably be better.

But no promises ;)
Helpful Bill - thanks for that.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. We're planning a trip to Vegas in a couple weeks and I'm hoping to have this in by then so we can really get a feel for it on a good road trip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2012 hemi gets 19.5-20.5 on the highway and about 11 in the city consistently. Your gas mileage will improve. I never use cruise and my tires are at 38 psi. I use premium if that means anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just picked up my 2014 Overland 4x4 5.7L last night. Drove straight from Houston to Dallas (260 miles) averaging 24.5 MPG. Granted this was almost 100% highway varying from 60 - 75 with a big tail wind!

·
Registered
High Altitude 4x4
4,181 Posts
My 2012 hemi gets 19.5-20.5 on the highway and about 11 in the city consistently. Your gas mileage will improve. I never use cruise and my tires are at 38 psi. I use premium if that means anything.
The MDS system in the Hemi requires either 89 octane or 87 octane fuel per your owner's manual. Premium fuel has too high of octane to use for the Hemi engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
V6 Overland

460 miles, first tank, 22.5 mpg overall
350 miles, most of round trip to tahoe, 24.5mpg
60 miles after refill with shell gas, 25.5 mpg

all per computer.

-B

1 - 20 of 124 Posts