Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here. I have done a lot of research and still kind of confused on what offset I can run safely without having to trim. My Jeep is a 15 Overland and I have 275/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I really like the Fuel Contra 20x9 but I believe the offset is +20. Is that too much and will cause a problem? Thanks for the input and if you have any wheel suggestions I’m open to checking them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
264 Posts
Doesn't sound like you plan to off-road the thing so get what 20" rim you want. If you do plan on off-roading 20" rims aren't the way to go.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,648 Posts
Well, I wouldn't say you can't go off-road with 20" wheel/tire combos, but you're abilities are going to be far less than if you went with 18" wheels. If off-road ability is a priority for you, you should be investing in 18" rims and tires, not 20"...

32" overall diameter is the limit for the WK2, you have to modify the wheel wells if you want to go up to 33"....

Changing offset will change the arc the tire swings as you turn, so pushing the tire further out, might change that barely fitting tire to rubbing or hitting the plastic trim as you turn the steering wheel......

Changing offset also changes the suspension geometry, the OEM wheels with +56.4mm offset puts the center of the tire contact patch at the center of suspensions geometry where it applies and receives forces to/from the tire, i.e. its balanced.....

An inch or less, shouldn't be a problem, a few people using cheap spacers at 1.5" have posted having problems, people going 2" or more have problems....

56.4mm - 20mm = 36.4mm in change in the offset.....
36.4mm/25.4mm/in= 1.4" moving the wheel centerline outward...

If you suspension is in good shape, I'm going to guess it won't be a problem, take the word of someone with experience with spacers and aftermarket wheels with different offset over mine...... ....but I think its also a safe guess, any wear or damage in the suspension, that you might not feel to badly with OEM wheels, you will feel badly with the 1.4" change in offset throwing off the suspension geometry.....

And this is all assuming that pushing of the wheels 1.4" outward doesn't cause the tire to rub when turning the steering wheel.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right MDK210, I won’t be off-roading it unless something crazy happens and I need to. It’s a family vehicle. I’m just having a hard time finding wheels with the offset that I would need for it to not run.

mongo, the suspension that is on my Jeep is the QL. I’m assuming everything is in good shape because I haven’t had any issues and don’t feel anything out of the ordinary. But moving it out another 1.4” mayor may not cause an issue I’m going to have to do a little more research on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts