Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Overland came with 20" tires, i do mostly city/hwy driving but want to start getting off-road more, nothing too scary.

Should I be looking at 18" or is a more aggressive 20" made I could look at.

Tirerack really didn't have options for 20" on/off road.

Thanks

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
My Overland came with 20" tires, i do mostly city/hwy driving but want to start getting off-road more, nothing too scary.

Thanks
It depends on how much and what type of "off roading" you want to do.
If you are seriously thinking of challenging Wrangler Rubicons, you have the wrong vehicle options. [Unless Jeep offered the OR-II package with 20's recently].

For milder "semi roading" try Discount Tire, and TireRack does have 20" Contis, plus someone noted that Michelin now has a 20" version of the venerable MS/2 called something else. The MS/2 will have more capability than your vehicle will.

Heck, I've seen SRT's in places I would not have thought they'd risk.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The 18" vs 20" debate is something you'll need to answer based on planned usage. Yes, taller sidewalls will help for airing down purposes and give more cushion.

Here's some of the 20's I am considering:
BFG K02
Goodyear Duratrac
Nitto Terra Grappler G2
Nitto Exo Grappler

They all come in 275/55r20 and all are highly rated and recommended.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They all come in 275/55r20 and all are highly rated and recommended.
Will these fit on my JGC Overland, my current size tire is 265/50/20?

Will I need to trim anything to make fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends on how much and what type of "off roading" you want to do.
If you are seriously thinking of challenging Wrangler Rubicons, you have the wrong vehicle options. [Unless Jeep offered the OR-II package with 20's recently].

For milder "semi roading" try Discount Tire, and TireRack does have 20" Contis, plus someone noted that Michelin now has a 20" version of the venerable MS/2 called something else. The MS/2 will have more capability than your vehicle will.

Heck, I've seen SRT's in places I would not have thought they'd risk.
Thanks.

No Wrangler rustling, just firetrails and such looking for perfect fishing spots. "Milder" is good word.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
They fit, I might have read one one or two types of tire that run at extreme lock in parking mode only but a minor fender liner adjustment would set you straight. Or just set parking mode to off.

·
Registered
1999 GMC Sierra
37 Posts
I just installed BFG 275/55/r20's AT TA K02's on my 2013 JGC and they fit even in park height - tight but they fit. Closest hardware to the tire is the top bolt of the front shock, about 1/2 inch clearance but it works. Tires are awesome by the way.

No idea why the pic is upside down ...

Attachments

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,619 Posts
68camaro, I'm in the same boat as you. I have 20s and I do some mild off-roading. When I bought the JGC the salesman was going to let me swap in 18s if I wanted them instead of the 20s. I gave that some serious thought but in the end decided to keep the 20s that were on it. That was pretty nice of the salesman to offer that, BTW.

I figure that I'll be doing about 95-98% on-road and 2-5% off, and I like the look of the 20" wheels. In the year+ and 21,000 miles I've put on so far, I've been able to do some off-roading. One event was a 4X4 "Safety Clinic" with a local 4WD club where with the OEM Forteras and QL I came away duly impressed with the obstacles my month-old (at the time) JGC was able to do. I posted about that here, just search for it.

Hollister Hills is about an hour from where I live. The rated trails (easy, medium, hard) are great for practicing. I bought an annual pass.

Hollister Hills SVRA: Hollister Hills SVRA
Map of the Upper Ranch area: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/hollisterhillstext_upperranch_final.pdf

The clinic was held there, and with the club's spotters talking you through I was able to do some pretty tough obstacles. We were in the Obstacle Course part of Upper Ranch. I've also taken my rig up high to the Hector Heights Overlook a couple of times. Once I tried it when the trails were muddy but it was too slick and I turned around because the hills there are too steep and I didn't want to slide off of the cliffs.

Google hollister hills frame twister and hollister hills stair stepper and you'll see what a WK2 on 20s can do in the hands of an off-road newbie.

Also, the sand dunes of Pismo Beach are a 3½ hour drive, and the low profile 20s do okay. I did not air down because I wanted to protect my rims. Next time I go though, I will air down especially for the really soft sand.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I think you'll do fine with the 20s. Especially with AT tires which I will get next, . You'll be able to do a lot of off-roading, IMHO. As your (our) skills and experience improve, we might want to "graduate" to 18s or even 16s to increase our capabilities, but for now 20s are fine for me.

HTH,
e7t

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 HEMI
23 Posts

Thanks
I put Nitto G2 on my Overland That had 20” rims and it did great off road in the mud, sand, and clay that Mississippi and Alabama threw at it. Not much noise on the highway either. Didn’t want the expense of buying 18” rims. I will say I now have a 2019 GC Trailhawk with 18” rims and Falken Wildpeak AT’s. There is a benefit to the higher sidewall when off roading.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
If your JGC is 4x4 and you upsize your tires from the OEM ~30.6", you must also upsize your spare to a tire of the same diameter to avoid drivetrain damage. Your speedo and odo will also be inaccurate...your dealer can't help you with that and if you want it fixed you'll have to invest money in software that can do it.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
188 Posts
AlphaOBD ($50ish?) and a OBD scanner ($20-50ish?) and you can change the tire size. There are posts about it.

·
Quadra-Drive II
2014 Limited
741 Posts
If your JGC is 4x4 and you upsize your tires from the OEM ~30.6", you must also upsize your spare to a tire of the same diameter to avoid drivetrain damage. Your speedo and odo will also be inaccurate...your dealer can't help you with that and if you want it fixed you'll have to invest money in software that can do it.
What are your thoughts on Rubicon JL wheels? 17x7.5 I believe on a 2020 WK2 Trailhawk. I want to mount those with a very thin 5mm Hub/wheel centric spacer with Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R17 its 30.6 diameter on the outside of the tire...or so thats what I have found online. I'm not a fan of using any spacer but in this case I will have too so the wheel will clear the caliper...your thoughts?.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
188 Posts
I was going 1.5, because I didn't know about the relief space on some rims (not all rims have this). I'm going to put them on, but I might drop down to a 1" spacer. I don't want my wheels sticking way out and throwing rocks and road debris.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
188 Posts
I did find this on .5' spacers because I was originally going to go with .5" Also for me anything not hub centric I personally will not use because it can throw off the balance because you'll never get it centered. I know people use them, just my preference, that is why I'm looking at the 1'.

INSTALLATION INFORMATION
  • REQUIRED that you Check your vehicle compatibility in Product Description BEFORE buying
  • Installation should only be performed by a trained professional
  • Will NOT WORK with stock length studs. Extended Wheel Studs are ABSOLUTELY NEEDED for proper installation
  • Make sure to get 6-8 FULL TURNS of the lug nuts when tightening
  • Be sure to torque the lug nuts to manufacturer specifications
  • Check and re-torque all lug nuts after 25-50 miles of driving
  • Failure to follow proper procedures may cause your lug nuts to come undone while driving
  • Perfect for fixing clearance issues if your wheel(s) is hitting your shocks or brake calipers

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
What are your thoughts on Rubicon JL wheels? 17x7.5 I believe on a 2020 WK2 Trailhawk.
If it's a V6, you can probably make that work. If it's a V8, nope....17s will not clear the HD brakes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts