Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2017 Overland. I'm trading my '14 Limited which I really love, but is up there in miles and missing some of the creature comforts that an old coot like me needs. So I have a deposit on a nice '17, love everything about the car except the 20" wheel/tires. I definitely do not like the firmer ride of the shorter 20" sidewall and living in NY with many roads similar to those of Falluja, I just know that I'm going to run into problems. My 14 Limited has performed just fine in the snow and when aired out, on the beaches as well, here on Long Island. For me they provide a perfect ride for my purposes. I'm wondering if I could swap the 18's off the Limited for the 20's on the Overland without running into drivability issues, since the 2016 Overland came with 18's. I know the 18's aren't as sexy looking as the 20's, but I really don't care about that. I'm thinking that because of the high mileage on my 14, the dealer is only going to wholesale the car, so doing the swap may not make a difference to him. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think you will be fine, I personally like the 18" better for function and looks. I can't see why the dealer would mind it, they are getting new tires and wheels on trade in. It will only make it worth more money. I don't think you will have an issue but some models do have larger brake calipers. You should make sure your will clear, others here might know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
There is ZERO physical issue with swapping the 20" and 18" wheels. Getting the dealer to cooperate is a different issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you will be fine, I personally like the 18" better for function and looks. I can't see why the dealer would mind it, they are getting new tires and wheels on trade in. It will only make it worth more money. I don't think you will have an issue but some models do have larger brake calipers. You should make sure your will clear, others here might know for sure.
Thanks for response. they're both V6 so I believe brakes/calipers are the same. As Jim in PA has noted, getting dealer to do this might be a different story, but I'm going to try..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is ZERO physical issue with swapping the 20" and 18" wheels. Getting the dealer to cooperate is a different issue.
Yeah, big 10-4 on that, but I'm going to try anyway..I guess we'll see how hungry he is to make the sale. Thanks for the response.

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
Thanks for response. they're both V6 so I believe brakes/calipers are the same.
That wouldn't matter, either...both the 18" and 20" will cover HD brakes if the JGC is equipped with them. 17s will not, however.

·
Registered
JGC
76 Posts
@Fred G If the dealer doesn't play ball, don't worry. Go straight to Craigslist. You'll likely find plenty of stock 18" JGC wheels and tires for sale very cheap as owners are buying after market wheels/tires and the stock ones are taking up space in their garage. Also, I agree with you, get those 20's off as soon as possible ... 18's are the only way to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That wouldn't matter, either...both the 18" and 20" will cover HD brakes if the JGC is equipped with them. 17s will not, however.
Thank you Jim, I appraci
@Fred G If the dealer doesn't play ball, don't worry. Go straight to Craigslist. You'll likely find plenty of stock 18" JGC wheels and tires for sale very cheap as owners are buying after market wheels/tires and the stock ones are taking up space in their garage. Also, I agree with you, get those 20's off as soon as possible ... 18's are the only way to go.
Funny you should say that.. I did find lots of stuff on ebay and craigs list which, to be honest, I sort of forgot about, and would probably be a good place to try to get rid of the 20's. I was really hoping to validate, from the experts on this forum like yourself, that the swap would make sense for my purposes. Thanks again for the response. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jim, I appreciate that. A few friends of mine have Overlands and Summits and I gotta say, for my purposes, which as a photographer, working out of the back of the truck, my Limited, riding on 18" Michelin's rides much more comfortable on the street. Several nights ago I was able to ride out on one of the beaches here on Long Island to shoot a time lapse of the full moon-rise and was able to do so without airing out at all. Granted the sand is somewhat harder now than in the heat of the summer, but still, I would question whether or not I would have been able to do that with the 20's or, if you can even air out a 20, since there is such a short sidewall to begin with.. Sorry for the rambling, but I'm happy to see that my decision to go with the 18's seems to be the right one.

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
It's a subjective thing, Fred. I prefer the ride/handling with the 20s and had no issue on the beach with them. What's most important is that you have what YOU want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a subjective thing, Fred. I prefer the ride/handling with the 20s and had no issue on the beach with them. What's most important is that you have what YOU want.
OK, Jim, that's very interesting about no issues on the beach. DO you need to air out on the beaches that you run on and if so, can you even do that with the 20's?

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
OK, Jim, that's very interesting about no issues on the beach. DO you need to air out on the beaches that you run on and if so, can you even do that with the 20's?
I aired down at the time, but you certainly can not take them down as far as you can a 60 aspect tire...I seem to remember it was the low- to mid-20s, but it's been awhile. I took a small compressor on those trips, but most of the time, there was a "commercial" air pump available near beach access.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I aired down at the time, but you certainly can not take them down as far as you can a 60 aspect tire...I seem to remember it was the low- to mid-20s, but it's been awhile. I took a small compressor on those trips, but most of the time, there was a "commercial" air pump available near beach access.
OK JIm, Thanks, good to know if I decide to go that route.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool. I'm on the "other" island...the Isle of Staten! I have the factory 18" rims on my '17 Limited. They soak up the potholes better than the 20's but they lack the coolness factor...
OK, so you know exactly what I'm talking about then. I know my way around a car, just not too much experience with Jeeps.. As far as the cool factor guys, I hear you, but I'm way beyond that point at this stage of my life. ...Had my share of Shelby's, both old and new and recently sold my driver, a '13 Boss 302. At this point, a smoother more comfortable ride, along with some newer technology suits me just fine :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is why I selected a Trailhawk over an Overland...for the 18" factory wheels vs 20" wheels. As far as I am aware, a fully optioned Trailhawk is otherwise identical to a fully optioned Overland minus the upgraded stereo you get in the Overland. IMHO, the seats are much better in the Trailhawk with the additional bolstering they come with. However, as far as I am aware, the suspension and drivetrain are the same.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,201 Posts
I notice next to no difference between my 20" ATs that I run in the summer and my 18" Blizzaks that I run in the winter. The suspension on the Overland will do a great job of providing a supple ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is why I selected a Trailhawk over an Overland...for the 18" factory wheels vs 20" wheels. As far as I am aware, a fully optioned Trailhawk is otherwise identical to a fully optioned Overland minus the upgraded stereo you get in the Overland. IMHO, the seats are much better in the Trailhawk with the additional bolstering they come with. However, as far as I am aware, the suspension and drivetrain are the same.
Thanks for the reply. I picked up the Overland today and will keep an eye out for a set of late model 18's. I'm pretty sure I'll have no problem in selling the 20's for someone who prefers the look.
I notice next to no difference between my 20" ATs that I run in the summer and my 18" Blizzaks that I run in the winter. The suspension on the Overland will do a great job of providing a supple ride.
Well, I drove in with my 2014 Limited trade and drove out with my 2017 Overland and felt the difference in ride immediately..Certainly not the end of the world, otherwise Jeep wouldn't use them, but I prefer the ride of the taller sidewall 18's. Glad to see, though, t hat you feel the 20's will perform well, so I guess time will tell. Thanks for the response.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts