Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Depends on your tires as well. I have a 18' trailhawk and the 18" kevlar tires ride worse than the 305/35/22 Pirellis on my summer wheels. The sidewalls are so stiff, even at 33psi they ride rougher than the 22's with 38psi. My wife even commented on it when i made the changeover back to the stock wheels a few weeks ago.
If you do decide to go down to 18" wheels, be careful on the tire choice or you might not get the softer ride you are after.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, I hear you. I planned on using the factory Michelin 18". They were on my Limited and the ride is just fine by me. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2017 Overland. I'm trading my '14 Limited which I really love, but is up there in miles and missing some of the creature comforts that an old coot like me needs. So I have a deposit on a nice '17, love everything about the car except the 20" wheel/tires. I definitely do not like the firmer ride of the shorter 20" sidewall and living in NY with many roads similar to those of Falluja, I just know that I'm going to run into problems. My 14 Limited has performed just fine in the snow and when aired out, on the beaches as well, here on Long Island. For me they provide a perfect ride for my purposes. I'm wondering if I could swap the 18's off the Limited for the 20's on the Overland without running into drivability issues, since the 2016 Overland came with 18's. I know the 18's aren't as sexy looking as the 20's, but I really don't care about that. I'm thinking that because of the high mileage on my 14, the dealer is only going to wholesale the car, so doing the swap may not make a difference to him. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
If the 20's on the newer one are nice I would keep them. I have a 2014 Summit that came with chrome 20s. I bought some cheap but decent 18" wheels and snows from Tire Rack. (you get the same tire height (30.5") They came mounted, balanced and with TPM installed. Not too bad on the wallet. I switch them out in November and April. Good Luck.

·
Registered
GC Overland
165 Posts
I have a 2014 Overland with V8, towing, Quadra Lift and the Off Road II package which automatically substituted the stock 20's for 18's that I wanted anyway. And on Craig's List have found multiple sets of 18" OEM wheels AND tires including new take-offs from a Trail Hawk that typically cost between $400-$600 for the set. Wheels without tires run $3-400. The used wheels rarely include the TPMS valve stems but Discount Tire has them for around $60 each so I had them installed when I put new tires on the rims so now have several complete sets, All Season and ATs with TPMS that I can swap as needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2017 Overland. I'm trading my '14 Limited which I really love, but is up there in miles and missing some of the creature comforts that an old coot like me needs. So I have a deposit on a nice '17, love everything about the car except the 20" wheel/tires. I definitely do not like the firmer ride of the shorter 20" sidewall and living in NY with many roads similar to those of Falluja, I just know that I'm going to run into problems. My 14 Limited has performed just fine in the snow and when aired out, on the beaches as well, here on Long Island. For me they provide a perfect ride for my purposes. I'm wondering if I could swap the 18's off the Limited for the 20's on the Overland without running into drivability issues, since the 2016 Overland came with 18's. I know the 18's aren't as sexy looking as the 20's, but I really don't care about that. I'm thinking that because of the high mileage on my 14, the dealer is only going to wholesale the car, so doing the swap may not make a difference to him. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm not so sure about the other answers. If the Jeep is like any other car...the speed sense is determined by wheel rpm. The circumference of 18"s is less than the 20"s...therefore a 20" travels further in one RPM than a 18". Possibly there's a setting in the computer that can be changed. The dealer should know.

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
I'm not so sure about the other answers. If the Jeep is like any other car...the speed sense is determined by wheel rpm. The circumference of 18"s is less than the 20"s...therefore a 20" travels further in one RPM than a 18". Possibly there's a setting in the computer that can be changed. The dealer should know.
Speed sense is determined by the TIRE diameter, not the wheel diameter. The OEM tires on the 18" wheels are the same diameter as they are on the 20" wheels...~30.6". Just the aspect ratio is different to account for the additional sidewall on the tires that ride on the 18" wheels.

There is no OEM method for re-setting the speedo and odo on the JGC if one runs tires that are not the OEM ~30.6" diameter and the dealer cannot adjust it. Some folks have used third party software to make the change, however, with the associated cost of the software.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Jim,
Picked up the car and love it. Finally I can see at night! lol.... I desperately needed those HID's. Dealer wouldn't do the swap, which is probably a blessing in disguise, as the 2014 18" wheel does not look as nice as the 2017 18" or 20", for that matter. The ride of the 20's is considerable firmer than the 18's, but at this point I'l just keep my eye out for a set of newer model 18" take-offs and go from there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just wondering if the computer would act differently with 17's vs 18's..i have 17's on my laredo ,want 18"s..the whole trans shift/learning break in period was on the 17's..now if I switch to 18's will the trans "relearn" all over again ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi, As long as the overall circumference or tire diameter, which in my case is 30.6", remains the same,as noted by Jim in PA, the vehicle's speed sensor doesn't know the difference or care what tire and wheel combo is on the car, since it is counting revolutions. Once you start altering the overall tire height or axle ratio's, then you'd need to reprogram the computer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went from a '14 Limited with 20" wheels to a '18 Limited with 18s. I prefer the 20s so swapped the wheels between the two. Also had to swat the TPS units as they were incompatible between the two vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,

There wouldn't be any difference i would see. my only thing is i don't like the price of 18s when it becomes time for tires .

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
This is why I selected a Trailhawk over an Overland...for the 18" factory wheels vs 20" wheels. As far as I am aware, a fully optioned Trailhawk is otherwise identical to a fully optioned Overland minus the upgraded stereo you get in the Overland. IMHO, the seats are much better in the Trailhawk with the additional bolstering they come with. However, as far as I am aware, the suspension and drivetrain are the same.
The Off Road Adventure II package comes with 18s with actual Goodyear offroad tires (at least on my 2017... prior years came with Michelin Latitude all seasons).

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
But you still won't get the heavy bolstered seats you get in the Trailhawk even with this package on an Overland, right?
Correct. The SRT-derived seats in the Trailhawk are exclusive to the Trailhawk. (and only in black, too...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I don't think you'll run into drivability issues as I would define them but then I don't know what you would consider important drivability issues. Two immediately come to mind with one just being a could be maybe. Turning radius might be affected (that's the could be maybe). The other is that your actual speed (mph) will be affected. You will be traveling faster than what's indicated on your speedometer. Remember the 18" are calibrated to the speedometer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,201 Posts
If wheel offset and tire size remain the same neither of those will be an issue. I have no problems switching between my 20" summer wheels and 18" winter wheels with stock sized tires.

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
The other is that your actual speed (mph) will be affected. You will be traveling faster than what's indicated on your speedometer. Remember the 18" are calibrated to the speedometer. Hope this helps.
This is 100% incorrect. The system is alibrated to the tire diameter, not the wheel diameter. The OEM tires, regardless of wheel size are ~30.6" in diameter. Only folks who "up size" (nobody ever downsizes) their tires have to deal with the speedo and odo inaccuracies. There's also no difference in turning radius. (37.1') regardless of which wheels are use. (The SRT and Trackhawk have a slightly different turning radius, but they are specialty vehicles)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts