Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

Im from Australia so hello. I just got a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and when I start driving, when the front is under load (so accelerating, it whirls but as soon as I let the accelerator off it stops), would that just be a shaft thing? oil thing? where would I begin?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Jeep Cherokee XJ if its not a WJ '96 Grand Cherokee that is.
I'll assume you have a Jeep Cherokee XJ for now at least.

Some questions:
What engine?
How many miles on it?
When you say 'whirls', do mean a howling or whining or whooshing type sound? If so how loud?
Does it happen in 2WD and 4WD or only in 4WD?
Does this also happen in neutral when rev'ing the engine?

I'll take a shot at it just based on the limited info you supplied.
If its a wooshing type sound and you have the inline 6 engine, it could be the PO installed a larger radiator WJ clutch fan which a lot of Jeep XJ owners do myself included because these old XJ's typically run hot.
The WJ clutch fan is significantly louder than the XJ stock fan when accelerating or rev'ing the engine.
I'd check out the clutch fan before diving deeper into this.

It could also be something going on with the front differential or wheel bearings.
I'd pop off the front differential cover and have a look at the ring and pinion gears for any slop and if there's any metal pieces in there.
It probably needs a fluid change any way.

Of course it could be something more serious like the torque converter, transmission or transfer case.

When i buy an older used vehicle i always start out with a maintenance base line meaning replacing parts like spark plugs,
distributor cap, all fluid changes-oil (diff. lube, trans. fluid, air filter), etc. whether all that needs replacing or not.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: mrvdv

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Jeep Cherokee XJ if its not a WJ '96 Grand Cherokee that is.
I'll assume you have a Jeep Cherokee XJ for now at least.

Some questions:
What engine?
How many miles on it?
When you say 'whirls', do mean a howling or whining or whooshing type sound? If so how loud?
Does it happen in 2WD and 4WD or only in 4WD?
Does this also happen in neutral when rev'ing the engine?

I'll take a shot at it just based on the limited info you supplied.
If its a wooshing type sound and you have the inline 6 engine, it could be the PO installed a larger radiator WJ clutch fan which a lot of Jeep XJ owners do myself included because these old XJ's typically run hot.
The WJ clutch fan is significantly louder than the XJ stock fan when accelerating or rev'ing the engine.
I'd check out the clutch fan before diving deeper into this.

It could also be something going on with the front differential or wheel bearings.
I'd pop off the front differential cover and have a look at the ring and pinion gears for any slop and if there's any metal pieces in there.
It probably needs a fluid change any way.

Of course it could be something more serious like the torque converter, transmission or transfer case.

When i buy an older used vehicle i always start out with a maintenance base line meaning replacing parts like spark plugs,
distributor cap, all fluid changes-oil (diff. lube, trans. fluid, air filter), etc. whether all that needs replacing or not.
Its the 4.0L Inline 6. 262000kms, its like between howling / whining noise. I can hear it from the front with stereo off lol
Its full time 4wd so yeah happens in 4wd.
No it doesnt happen when reving in neutral.

it had a diff oil flush and there wasnt anything unusual.. might leave it until it goes to a mechanic.
hopefully it shouldnt cost too much to fix either way

1 - 4 of 4 Posts