Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Laredo with 170K+ miles on it, never had mechanical problems, one day the transmission just stopped working, I did an oil and filter change on the trans - oil was really bad - and filled it with 8 litters of Dexron III as the guys from autozone suggested. After turning it on and waiting for the motor to warm up I went out for a test drive, so far so good, except it just stopped working as soon as I drove into my backyard.

I have tried turning it on and off a few times to see if the oil flows somehow (by art of magic or stupidity), I noticed that the trans only engages in any gear any time you turn it on after a few minutes off, e.g.

1 Turn on the car
2 Shift gear (any gear)
-> Car moves without issues
3 Shift gear again
-> Transmission seems like it is trying to engage but it seems like it skips and you end up in a staled mode (not moving at all).
4 Repeat all the steps again
-> You'll get kind of the same results

Aside from that the other thing I have noticed is that if I leavr the gear in reverse the transmission will engage after a minute or two then it will lost it again.

I have read that maybe adjusting the bands can help, some other folks advice checking the selenoid block.

Sometimes you can also hear some noise like that when oil is pumped by the hydraulic direction power, except it comes from the transmission.

No transmission related error codes found when checking with ignition key method, the only code I get is P0152, that one makes sense because I found out one of the o2 sensors had three capped wires, I reinserted the wires in their respective spots following the colors in the other o2 sensor, that may not have worked as expected though.

Any advice on how to exorcise this old metal fella?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Possibly the tranny is toast. If the fluid was 'really bad' that should be a clue.
Double check that the fluid level is correct and the right fluid.
That po152 code indicates the O2 sensor is trashed or its connector has problems or possibly the cat itself is FUBAR.
If this was my deal i'd first fix and get rid of that code and then go on to the tranny issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's probably part of the problem right there, Dexron III isn't the recommended fluid. ATF+4 is, I wore out the clutches in a week on my 01 using Dexron III cause it doesn't work as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts