Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

20" Nitto Terra Grapplers

73K views 107 replies 39 participants last post by  ccfoodog 
#1 ·
While waiting to order my '14 CRL Summit, I went to Discount to look at getting some more aggressive tires.

I drive about 35k+ a year, and go off road for work weekly and like to off road a every few months with family and friends. In the mud, the stok tires slick up instantly and i have been stuck a few times in my '12 GC. I hope not again.

Talking to my guy at Discount, the best option seemed to be the Nitto Terra Grapplers in the same size as the stock tires. He likes them, says they will last as long if not longer than the stock tires and with offset tread pattern should not be too loud.

Does anybody have experience with these on there GC? Since I drive so much I want to make sure I am not sacrificing road quality, wet traction and noise for the occasional romp in the mud and off roading trip.

Thanks!

#30 ·
Tires look great! I am running the Forteras but then change to winter tires for the winter season. I want to avoid the tire change and am hoping the Terra Grapplers perform well enough in snowy conditions. I realize they will not be as good as dedicated winter tries but maybe good enough?

#33 · (Edited)
Just FYI for anyone looking at these, you can get brand new, factory size 265-50r20 Terra Grapplers from Tirebuyer.com right now for $638 shipped (before any sales tax). They come up to about $708 for the set and you can get a 10% discount by entering a coupon code. I ordered a set on Monday night, and they are being delivered to my installer this morning, even w/ the free shipping.

EDIT: linkage http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/nitto/terra-grappler/p/tv154000268

#37 ·
I've only had mine for a few months and 3000 miles, so I can't comment on long term.

But they still look brand new. You can still see the little rubber injection points sticking out of the sidewalls.

I've taken my jeep off road a few times, the tires did great. The Fortera's would "scuff" on the sidewalls if you hit rocks... these still look brand new.

#39 ·
I got the 265 50 20 TG's on before a long road trip to CO and with planned offroading some.. They are really nice. Quiet on road, smooth, excellent grip.. More rubber so a bit less precise or responsive as the forteras, but probably better dry grip. Off road they work well. I did have to rotate them after rebalance failed to get rid of a vib I had at hwy speed, but that fixed it - may have just been how they put wheels on at shop... Overall, I'm very glad I got rid of the OEM's before this trip.

#42 ·
^^ me too. Same load rating c and extra load type tire as oem gy forteras. My dealer warned about load e tires ruining ride. The nittos i got are basically exact replacement but with more max load rating and AT tread.

I may have lost 1mpg at hwy speeds (80mph), so be warned... But that is the only downside i see. Just did 3300 mile road trip...

#43 ·
These look like a great replacement...... (but really wanted the Bridgestone AT Revo 2 - not avail in stock 20" size)
A couple of questions that I hope those running these tires can help with.

Someone mentioned Flat spotting. I have had issues with other tires (on my Infiniti FX-35) flat spotting and cannot stand it. Can anyone comment about these tires?

Towing - I tow the 3800lb E3 camper (580lb tongue weight, using a weight distributing hitch). Anyone tow using these tire and what are your thoughts/input?

#44 ·
These look like a great replacement...... (but really wanted the Bridgestone AT Revo 2 - not avail in stock 20" size) A couple of questions that I hope those running these tires can help with. Someone mentioned Flat spotting. I have had issues with other tires (on my Infiniti FX-35) flat spotting and cannot stand it. Can anyone comment about these tires? Towing - I tow the 3800lb E3 camper (580lb tongue weight, using a weight distributing hitch). Anyone tow using these tire and what are your thoughts/input?
The Revo 2 does come in 20 inch in 275/55/20. It is what a lot of people on here run size wise. They are a little bigger and fill out the wheel well better. I run that size with Cooper Zeon LTZ and love it.

#46 ·
How much off is the speedometer with the 275/55/20 tires?
This is my wife's daily driver and we put A LOT of miles on it (43K miles in 25 months!) - don't want her to have to try to keep remembering the speedometer is off by 'X' and to adjust accordingly.
Is there anything like the AEV ProCal that you can adjust the computer?

#49 ·
The only tuner available (diablo) claims to be able to adjust tire diameter, but it causes an ABS error code which cannot be cleared. So no solutions available yet for this. As mentioned above, the error is noticeable, plus the larger size will drag down the fuel mileage 1-2mpg.

Interestingly, my 2011 with 31.5" tires in my sig would read 2-3mph low. My 2013 with the same tires reads almost exactly correct, maybe 1/2 mph low based on the roadside radar displays. The only difference is the 2011 was optioned with oem 20's and the 2013 had oem 18's. So there may be a useful difference in the factory 20-18 calibrations.

#48 ·
Here's an online calculator. OnlineConversion.com - Bigger Tires

For example, the stock 265/50-R20 Goodyear Fortera tires on my '14 Summit are 30.5 inches tall (spec from Tirerack). The 275/55-R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers are 31.8 inches tall (spec from Nitto website). According to the calculator, if your speedometer said you're traveling at 70 mph, your actual speed will be 73. So your wife would have to know that in order to be actually doing 70 mph, her speedometer would have to read 67.

Tony

#50 ·
Hi,
Just came across your Grand on the site and its pretty much Idetical to mine. I could use some help white doing my upgrades and would really appreciate if you could message me or email me so we could chat. I was wondering if the wheels rubbed at all, and where you purchases your rock sliders.
Thanks in advance for any and all help
best,
Grandolander

#52 ·
that's about what I paid. They are similar to AT revos in my estimate - which I had on my tahoe.

Drove in slushy snow last weekend and they were nice. I seriously think mileage is down with them from OEM GY, but I don't care. I love the ton of extra rubber in the tread and higher load rating.

I think I finally figured out the weird "kickball" sound I hear sometimes on some roads going over bumps as the tires did little to effect it. It's the air suspension! It must be. They almost look like kickballs, so what else could it be??

#57 ·
I'm planning to order these tomorrow...which way are you guys facing the lettering? I know they are both solid black but one side has solid raised letters while the other is just an outline of the letters. Does one side look better than the other?

I am excited to get these but part of me is a little concerned that they will be quite a bit louder and a harsher ride paired with the overland air suspension.

#62 ·
I have about 5K on these tires now in OEM 20 inch size. Replaced the GY Forteras early as I wanted more tire tread..

I've done long road trip, some off road, and now ice and snow.

These tires are a bit louder than the GY, but not by much. I bearly hear them at any speed. I do thin the MPG is a bit lower, as one would expect. I get 17 with a roof pod and going 75-85, which is typical with the GY, but maybe a bit lower than the GY without the extra pod.. Maybe 5% less mileage.

OK, now the good side. The tires have a bit softer ride, nice grip on dry pavement, clearly better off road ability, way more rubber tread to prevent flats.. On ice they suck as all tires do on a 5K # SUV (really, I'm talking about breaking). But in deeper snow, they seem pretty good. We're getting a foot plus now of snow, so true test to come, but today they clearly seemed better than the GY in real snow depths.

I am really glad I got these tires before waiting on the Gy to go away. I've had MS2's (did the white rim on these) and revo AT's on other SUV's and liked them both, these are pretty comparable assuming they have treadlife as those others do. To me the road noise and ride is really not much worse than the GY and I mean at 80-85mph or 30 with windows down.

#64 ·
4/32 to 5/32 left on the Fortera's - 55k miles and probably could get a few more miles out of them..... However, it's December and would rather have more tread than not! So - Tarra Grapplers go on in about an hour! Local shop matched TireCrazy's price and even discounted the installation a little. Only down side is I have to pay local taxes. BUT - getting them installed today - just in time for some heavy rains and snow this weekend here in the DC metro area.
Shop quoted me $85 for alignment (discounted from $99)..... I don't think I have had an alignment done since new (27 months and 55k miles). Thoughts? does anyone know what the specs should be for the alignment?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.