Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@JeepCares so here's the dilemma, wife's leased GC with 29k on it has had ac condenser replaced and the water pump shaft is leaking. water pumps are bo'd w/o an eta and we're due for job placement 1400 miles away for work in 3wks! i've talked with several dealers and they all say there are 4400 pumps on order. i've asked them to reach out to hq and see about putting an aftermarket on it because it has to go on the road and there's no discussion to be had about it. this inexpensive part could likely end up cooking this motor. i'm at a loss as what my next step is? we can't push off the start dates of our jobs as the positions will get filled instantly. i'm not really wanting to sink my money into it as this shouldn't be an issue with this mileage and being a lease. frustrating

also my '12 gc is in the shop getting buttoned together from a blown head gasket. i stopped in there to deliver oil and coolant and noticed it hanging on the lift. i asked the mechanic if he locked out the quadra lift and he said, "no didn't know anything about that." it's been hanging for a a couple wks like this waiting for heads to get faced. how screwed am i? if it's messed up what course of action do i need to take? so don't need all this happening right now on this tight time schedule. might just pack it up and go back home to MI. thanks for the time.

edit: after days of calling and online looking i found a gates pump and is being expedited. maybe jeep will reimburse me?馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
i asked the mechanic if he locked out the quadra lift and he said, "no didn't know anything about that." it's been hanging for a a couple wks like this waiting for heads to get faced. how screwed am i? if it's messed up what course of action do i need to take?
If you're talking about jack mode, that's just for use with a jack.

QuadraLift self-disables when on a service lift (i.e. when all four corners are hanging).

Technically it will also self-disable when jacking one corner, but it's 75% less terrifying if you use jack mode.

Registered
2020 JGC WK2 Overland 5.7L Hemi
Back in 2018 I was traveling out of my home state with my 2014 Hemi and pulled off the interstate to get gas. Noticed the temp gauge was reading super high and then coolant leaking out under the truck. It was on a Sunday and no dealers were open so had it towed to the nearest open repair shop. Water pump had failed and the shop couldn't obtain an OEM pump, in fact all OEM pumps were out of stock and backordered for 4 weeks out since there were so many failures and the supply chain couldn't keep up. So had the pump replaced with an aftermarket one which included flushing/replacing the coolant, new thermostat and gasket, new serpentine belt and then labor. Came to $840.00 and the truck had 64K miles on it.

When I got home I contacted Jeeps warranty department and they suggested I make a claim, included sending them the invoice for the work and proof that I had paid for it, which was listed on the copy of my monthly credit card bill. They said there were no guarantees that they would pay anything since it was not a repair made by the dealer or with an OEM pump, but I figured what did I have to lose. About 3 months later I received a check in the mail for the full amount of the repair and then a few weeks after that I received a letter from them that stated the water pump was warranted for a lifetime. Wow was I surprised and glad that they recognized they had a problem and were making it right.

Premium Member
Trailhawk
Why replace a bad OE pump if you aren't required to do so? Usually the new aftermarket units are better. We replaced the OE pump on my 2011 5.7L with a new GMB brand for less money and it worked just fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're talking about jack mode, that's just for use with a jack.

QuadraLift self-disables when on a service lift (i.e. when all four corners are hanging).

Technically it will also self-disable when jacking one corner, but it's 75% less terrifying if you use jack mode.
well tickle me pink, i didn't know that it disables when on a hoist. thanks for a bit of relief.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why replace a bad OE pump if you aren't required to do so? Usually the new aftermarket units are better. We replaced the OE pump on my 2011 5.7L with a new GMB brand for less money and it worked just fine.
not sure who this is directed at? her pump is warrantied (2020) and mine (gates) is just fine on the 2012. i roached the head gasket due to a shit t-stat and stuck in the hov lane, night rush hour in phoenix (i-10/university). try finding a good usa made 180 stat. i'm using a cummins 5.9 stat now

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just picked the '12 with the blown head gasket. he conveniently used iridium plugs when oem are copper. cash grab if i ever saw one. just waiting for it to start running like shit now. my oem's only had 7k on them too. in tghe beginning i asked him to keep the gasket and plugs as i wanted to look at them. oh his guy tossed all that. this is why i hate mechanics as this isn't the 1st time the greasy bastards pull one over. 1st time i took a car to the shop in over 20 yrs. if i weren't 2000 miles away from my barn and tools i wouldn't be here.

now it's time to pay the stealership to install an aftermarket water pump i bought, on the wife's '20. then wait for chrysler to maybe reimburse me. wife's been leasing from them for 10-12yrs now. chrysler if you're listening we will not have any relations ever again馃枙

1 - 9 of 9 Posts